The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
GUNZILLA
7,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am supposed to meet my wife's cousin Wednesday at the rifle range where he want to sight in his mini 14 for a hog hunt. I have no information on this rifle and have no idea when his father who passed away 30 years ago bought the rifle.

I asked him if he had ammo for it and all he said that there was plenty of 5.56 ammo his father had bought. So he is assuming that it was for the mini 14. His father had a huge huge collection of rifles but still my inside voice is making me doubt if 5.56 can be fired on this rifle which I have not seen yet.

I called him so that he could get a confirmation from Ruger whether the chamber can handle the 5.56 ammo according to the serial number from that rifle. I know that some mini 14's even though they are marked .223 some can handle 5.56.

My question is does this apply to all mini 14 rifles or certain ones? My best guestimation would be for this rifle to be 30 to 40 years old.

·
Super Moderator
42,744 Posts
Well, I don't know the definitive answer to that question. What I can tell you it that I had one about 30 years ago and the ONLY thing I ever fired through it was 5.56 since I was able to acquire a little of the ammo from the Army. Never had any problems with it other than it not being the most accurate rifle.

·
Registered
6,106 Posts
Had a mini 14 purchased in 1983. 5.56 223 no problems. The mini 14 Ranch model is designed to use 223 and 5.56. The mini 14 TARGET model is designed to only fire 223.

·
GUNZILLA
7,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Never had any problems with it other than it not being the most accurate rifle.
I read about that, last time I helped this guy was also with a Savage 99, for some reason his father like rifles that were not very accurate.
@ral357 , thanks for the mention of the mini-14 target, I will ask if it is one of those or if it is marked.

·
Registered
6,106 Posts
30 year old rifle, no way it is a target model. They came out in 2007 and look quite different.
DD02B9E6-DDA9-4219-8031-7FFBE89487A1.png

·
Premium Member
10,714 Posts
As stated earlier, only the target models are 233 only. I called Ruger when I bought my 1990 Mini 14 and was told it would handle 5.56 just fine. Now don’t expect any better accuracy than fist sized groups at 50 yards, they aren’t exactly know to be tack drivers.

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
It shoots both. ms, if it hasn't been shot in awhile, and/or the gas system hasn't been cleaned, that needs to be done. The piston/cylinder get carboned up, and it locks the bolt shut, sometimes with a loaded round in the chamber.

·
GUNZILLA
7,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It shoots both. ms, if it hasn't been shot in awhile, and/or the gas system hasn't been cleaned, that needs to be done. The piston/cylinder get carboned up, and it locks the bolt shut, sometimes with a loaded round in the chamber.
Thanks Trap, I will let him know, I will also need to see some videos to learn how to disassemble it, should not be too hard.

·
Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work
7,372 Posts
As stated earlier, only the target models are 233 only. I called Ruger when I bought my 1990 Mini 14 and was told it would handle 5.56 just fine. Now don’t expect any better accuracy than fist sized groups at 50 yards, they aren’t exactly know to be tack drivers.
I guess you won't be hunting squirrels with one, eh?

Reactions: ms6852 and Firpo

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
The info given is spot on, I have owned both the ranch (sold It) and I still own a Target model. It has always irritated me that I cant shoot 5.56 out of the Target model, it forces me to keep my 223 and 5.56 separated. I can run either thru my AR's and before I bought the target model I never paid much attention when buying cases of ammo, didnt care if it was 223 or 5.56, now I have to keep some 223 on hand. The target model is a heavy beast but the accuracy is much better than the Ranch.
Rugers 1.jpg

·
GUNZILLA
7,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys appreciate your input.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts