The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
#1- ASM/CVA 1981 (By date on instruction literature) Self assembly Kit .36 Navy revolver. #2 ASM/CVA 1984 (by serial number) The cylinders on both guns are threaded 5x.8 S.I. metric. Both were sold with nipples threaded 6x1 S.I. metric. The kit gun was only partly assembled, with just the one nipple fitted. The assembled gun had five 6x1nipples threaded into the 5x.8 threaded chambers, and in the sixth chamber the thread for the nipple was stripped, for the full length through to the chamber. On examination after difficult removal, all the nipples showed thread damage, as did the first two or three threads in the cylinder chambers, that were fitted with nipples. My research has not located any nipples listed as 5x.8 thread. And the listed nipple thread for both firearms is 6x1mm. Neither gun came to me from the same source, and did not show evidence of machining or alteration to the cylinder thread. Thank you for any input, thoughts and observations.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
ASM nipple threads should be 12-28 or metric size M5.5X.9

BTW the serial number doesn't mean anything. There should be a date code but a kit gun may not have it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply and the information, Hawg. If the two thread specifications that you quote are from actual specifications, then I think that the tools used were due for replacement, as a new M5.5X.9 threaded machine screw is a very loose fit. A new M5X.8 threaded machine screw is a correct firm mechanical fit in the five nipple locations not damaged by the attempted fitting of a M6X1 nipple. However there appears to be no listed nipple with a M5.5X.9 thread. And the specification and nipples supplied is M6X1. Have you any thoughts on this inconsistancy? It is not surprising that the nipples bind and are hard to remove. Thank you for the correction, sorry I gave the wrong information by quoting that the manufacture date came from the serial number, on the assembled revolver. I should have put:- Made by ASM in Italy, not import stamped by C.V.A. But proofed and date stamped AM in a square box, which the dating chart shows as 1984. I am hoping to make a safe, usable revolver, and maybe? a wall hanger from the parts that I have.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the extra information. I am sure that the two sizes are slightly different. Perhaps not as much difference as supplying M6X 1, regardless of the actual thread in the cylinder. I am not yet in a position of desperation, a lot of work to do yet. Take Care.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
UPDATE; I have just ordered from John at Track of the Wolf, a set of six stainless nipples - M5.5X.9 'Sale/Fit or return' His information is that the early manufactured guns were mainly metric threads, on later manufacture the threads were not consistant. with a mixture of Metric and Unified threads. Leading to assembly and kit packaging of what was available. (For reference and study, on February 9th I printed out the three page list of available nipple specifications from Track of the Wolf, and for some reason the print out did not include M5.5X.9 in either blued steel or stainless. I will report on the progress. Thanks again Hawg for getting me optimistic, thinking! and up and running again. I know that both American 12 X 28 and M5.5X.9 are the same thread form and 28t.p.i. I remember reading on another post that dual packaged 12x28/5.5x.9 did not fit, also that supplied 12X28 did not fit, but the exchanged M5.5x.9 fitted the actual firearms was not mentioned. I am thinking that a lot of the tight, seized thread on screw and nipples, and broken nipple wrenches, maybe due to non-compatable threads? Both of my 'problem' cylinders, were suppled with 'oversize' M6X1 nipples. Has anyone any experience or thoughts on this? Is it more than carbon and powder build up, when soaking does not work! The original assembly instructions with the A.S.M kit, recommended inserting and removing the screws a number of times, to mate the threads before final /snugging. Sorry to go on, but I have finished.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Received my order of 6 stainless nipples threaded M5.5x.9 from Track of the Wolf yesterday. Prompt shipping and John on the telephone was knowledgable and helpful. The threads matched the cylinder threads of my CVA/ASM 1981/82 Colt 1851 Navy replica 'Kit' revolver. One of the six had a damaged starting thread, this I mailed back to-day. Pleased with service and purchase. Subject to a reasonable turnaround of the replacement nipple.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The end of the saga. I telephoned Track of the Wolf, explained to Greg that one of the nipples was damaged. He checked my order number, confirmed my address, and IMMEDIATELY shipped a replacement nipple. This arrived this morning, indicating the return and replacement crossed in the mail. Excellent service and comunication. Thanks again to HAWG who got me on track with his information on nipple threads. I have a lot of rust to deal with, followed by 'fitting' as this is a very rough 'unworked' kit revolver of the early 1980's

1 - 9 of 9 Posts