Miserable old people

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by Islandboy, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Islandboy

Islandboy New Member

O.K. don't get excited none on this forum but,

I sort of developed a theory as to why some old folk can be onery and miserable surmising that they had regrets in life, dreams unfullfilled etc. but, I'm starting to think it could also stem from having to deal with Idiots.

I mean, it does become a chore when you get caught out repeatedly by realizing that the person you are trying to help will never get it or make it.
    This is happening all to often these days, anyone else notice it?
    Plus, after helping they get mad at you!
    This leads to another question,

What happens in a persons brain when everything you have been lead to believe, with respect of entitlements, fair play, what you are owed by life etc is contradicted by your immeadiate reality?

Not me by the way, I know where I stand and what I believe but I see a futility and confusion in people as of late........

Is this not part of the societal meltdown?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  2. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

I understand that my explanations are futile already. That's why I preach to the choir here. I'm an old fart already in spirit and I'm only 29. *really, not joking there* Heck, I worry about the future for my son when everyone seems so content to be lemmings. He's only 23 months old. :eek:

Have we lost our country to rampant ignorance? I fear I know the answer... :(

3. Islandboy

Islandboy New Member

I was fortunate to have been at the feet of my grandfather and his 9 brothers, my ears were open and mouth shut unless asked what was I thinking, which they noticed whenever I was.
    They weren't miserable, but vocalized what they saw coming.

My Dad took me to the food store one day, I mighta been 9-10 and he says
    "I feel sorry for your generation"
    When I asked him why, he pointed to the soap isle and said,
    "when I was your age, we had two choices. You have to choose between all of these dozens in 24 linear feet of shelves.
    How are you ever going to cope with the important decisions in life?
    Point made 30 + years ago.

4. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Being a bonifide old person I am authorized to proclaim you both honorary old guys. The chief requirement for this is that you have to think logically. You may now both exercise your right to be "crotchety" but may you never be miserable.

5. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Hey RunningOnMT, I accept your nomination and formally declare myself a bonafide curmudgeon. :D

6. Islandboy

Islandboy New Member

I always wanted to be an Oracle!!
    Like in the old western movie with the temperence women, forgot the name.
    Up there with Paint your wagon.
    Bring whiskey (prefer rum) and dispence wisdom.
    Must be something wrong with me due to being familiar with those movies.

7. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Interesting topic. I've been through so much I feel like it will take a lot to faze me now. Really, that which does not kill us makes us stronger. Maybe the older folks feel a lot of disappointment, but they have gained strength and wisdom through experience, and probably earned their crabbiness. LOL! Miserable, indeed.

I had grandparents like that too, they raised their families during the depression; it's no wonder the younger generations can't make important decisions and seem to think everything should be handed to them. I know plenty of kids that leave high school and think they will earn $50/hour for doing very little real work. Big difference in generations!

You know, my dad got happier towards the end, I think he knew it was time to let go and allow others to take care of him and make sure his world was right. He had no reason to be crabby.

8. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

I have been around for 66 years this week.

When 15, I could ride through town on my bicycle with a revolver on my hip, and no one batted an eye.
    Today, adults are getting in trouble for wearing one in their own front yard.

I spent the last several decades of my working career putting money away in a 401K for retirement.
    I have watched it swirl around and go down the porcelain bowl over the last few months, as executives splurge our tax money on lavish idiocy.

I have, after a lifetime of scientific study, come to the conclusion that there is a God, and he created all that is. Although there is absolutely no other logical answer to origins issues, this is illegal to teach in the schools paid for with my tax money. Instead, they teach Naturalism, with not one whit of evidence for it.

I have watched our country go from the land of opportunity where anyone can make a good living if they are willing to work, to the land of entitlements where anyone can live good if they don't.

Crotchety?
    Sometimes, yes.
    But then I cheer up when I think that at least I will not have to put up with all this garbage for TOO many more years.

9. Islandboy

Islandboy New Member

Yes ampaterry, but those are nobler times you speak of. Things have changed and for the worse, but sanity will only be held by those who know sane when they see it.
    Not to Judge but a comment,
    Do you think all of these people who go postal may be unable to recocile their immeadiate reality with all their preconcieved rights and entitlements that have been drummed in?
    What happens when the two don't agree? Brain fade or meltdown?
    I mean I'd be pissed if I learned tht the sky was acually blue when I've been taught all my life that its red, right?
    Too deep yet to be talked about?

10. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Sort of a reality check shock?
    You could well be right -

11. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

I'm much the same way, I believe. I'm 30, am I old enough to be a miserable old fart?:p:D

12. Islandboy

Islandboy New Member

Exactly, a reality check shock.
    A check sum bio failure,
    Exo stimulated Brain fart

13. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

ampaterry,:)

And so it goes.....at 49, I am relly begining to wonder where all the good folks have gone.....only to realize that they came before me in my fathers generation and before. For me in my life, I am coming to know that for me, NOW is THAT part of life that I remember of the older generations. I suppose they felt the same way, in their time. I wonder if each passing generation feels the same way, Wondering about some of the generations of youth they see them selves surrounded by. Wondering what the world will be like when those young folks are at the helm of the world, calling the shots. But the greatest generation had to pay dearly for the fruits of their retirement, where my generation will have less, for the most part, because we saved less and spent more. We did not fight great wars that would have thinned our ranks, and left more for fewer. We have not saved for the future, but lived the presant. The cycle will continue as the fore fathers of the "greatest generation" were responcible for what we now call the great depression. My generation, well who knows.....We will I am sure, muddle through, with what we have. I hope,:) Kirk

14. artabr

artabr New Member

Islandboy I believe you nailed it in your first 2 sentences.
    It seems that a lot of people are running around with their brain in a vapor lock. Nothing in, nothing out.

I was a grumpy old man at 18, I'm a lot grumpier at 51. ;) :D

Art

15. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

You give people too much credit...I'm starting to think that the majority of the American people don't even have a brain.