The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got some missouri bullet 45acp .452 LSWC BHN 12. bullseye #1. just wondering how hard should I push these. I usually load Magnus LSWC with 4.5gr WST 1.250 O.C.L. Do you think load them the same? or lighter. I'm not sure what the BHN is on the magnus bullets but I have had really good results with them, but with the shortage you grab what you can get.

·
Banned
2,751 Posts
I just got some missouri bullet 45acp .452 LSWC BHN 12. bullseye #1. just wondering how hard should I push these. I usually load Magnus LSWC with 4.5gr WST 1.250 O.C.L. Do you think load them the same? or lighter. I'm not sure what the BHN is on the magnus bullets but I have had really good results with them, but with the shortage you grab what you can get.
I load mine to 4.9gr WST with 200gr and 4.5gr with 230gr Missouri bullets.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
i would load them down by 5% of your regular load... but that is just me... for the lead cast boolits that i make i aim for pushing them 100 fps less than the jacketed load, this is just for punching holes in paper

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Fit of bullet to bore is much more important than BHN. I can shoot bullets of 10 BHN up to 22 BHN in my 45 ACP without leading, as long as the bullet is .002" larger than the groove diameter of the barrel. I cast/reloaded/shot my "mystery alloy" (mostly wheel weight alloy + scrap lead) with no leading for mebbe 16 years before I got a hardness tester...

I think the BHN hardness worry is "much ado about nothing".

Start with starting loads for the bullet weight and determine the OAL using the Plunk test.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for everyone's 2ct's. as for slugging the barrel they could be shot in about 6 different 45's ranging from wilson cqb to S&W 625 but I still will do a plunk test. it looks like as long as I stay in the 800fps to 900fps range I should be fine. My old load with the Magnus were running 830fps out of 5" 1911 so i'll start there and adjust if I have problems. thanks

·
Super Moderator
41,401 Posts
I use a Missouri Bullet 200 grain .452 Cowboy #4, also is a Brinell 12 hardness. I load them in both a .45 ACP and .45 Colt with pretty good results. The next ones I order will be the 230 grain .452 Softball with a Brinell hardness of 18. I will also load them in both the ACP and Colt.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I use a Missouri Bullet 200 grain .452 Cowboy #4, also is a Brinell 12 hardness. I load them in both a .45 ACP and .45 Colt with pretty good results. The next ones I order will be the 230 grain .452 Softball with a Brinell hardness of 18. I will also load them in both the ACP and Colt.
those 250gr RNFP .452 pinbusters look interesting for hog hunting.:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts