The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the deal on these guns. Local guy had one in a new box, said he got it for $450. Said it was German Military surplus built in 1943, never used. It looked somewhat like a Rebuilt M1, but it either wasn't ever used or had new stock. Local guy tried telling me it was a collectors item, ha ha. I told him it looked like a cheap moose gun.

Are these 8mm Mausers all over the place or are they getting rare? Anybody have one, what do ya think about it?

·
Registered
17,299 Posts
Mitchell is a rip-off. They buy guns and rebuild them and give them new teak stocks. There is nothing wrong with the guns. They are good, solid, 200 dollar K98 Mix-masters. But Mitchell claims they are authentic NIB never-issued collector guns (and charge accordingly), and that's bull.

·
Super Moderator
41,422 Posts
Mitchell is a rip-off. They buy guns and rebuild them and give them new teak stocks. There is nothing wrong with the guns. They are good, solid, 200 dollar K98 Mix-masters. But Mitchell claims they are authentic NIB never-issued collector guns (and charge accordingly), and that's bull.
Yep!! Alpo is correct, I read somewhere about what Mitchell does to his before he jacks up the price. I have two 8mm Mausers, one is German and one is Yugoslavian. They are not as pretty as the Mitchell's but they are probably the same gun at about 1/2 the price. I bought one of them directly from either AIM Surplus or Century International. I bought the other one at a gun show for what I considered a jacked up price of $225, but it was in good shape.

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
Mitchell has been accused of making serial numbers match on guns.

From what I have read, I wouldn't put it past them.

the guns are great function wise, but I wouldn't pay over $250-300 for a really nice Mauser

I got mine, with all of the Nazi markings intact from a valid dealer for $280 about 5 years ago.

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
My son-in-law is a studied Mauser collector. He inspected a Mitchell Mauser and said it was a Russian Capture. That is, it was confiscated by the Russians as they overrode the German army at the end of WWII. He also said they were re-furbished to look new and original. In other words, they are rip-offs.

MItchell has been to jail for gun matters. I have been told it was for not paying gun taxes (??). In the past he ripped off the owners of the then de-funk High Standard Company of the name the new owners paid for when Hi Std closed its doors in about 1984. He made stainless steel clones of Hi Std models. He even used Hi Std names on them. Apparently, it was infringement of some kind as Mitchell and the TX company that made the Stoegers Hi Std clones got drug into to court and lost. That was the last of the Mitchell Hi Std clones (Stoegers too).

I'd not buy anything from him as he has a checked past. And his Mausers are rip-offs. It is not that they are not good guns (they may very well be????) but that they are not collectable at all as they have been re-furbed by Mitchell.

LDBennett

·
Premium Member
19,878 Posts
My son's friend bought one at Cabela's for $250. It's in pretty good shape. He hasn't fired it yest as he can't find the ammo...

·
Registered
7,999 Posts
Never owned or even handled a Mitchel Mauser, but every post I've ever seen from Mauser collectors shines a pretty dim light on them. The ones I've seen advertised have brightly polished bolts. I thought that the issued 98K Mausers had blued bolts.

I've got a Russian Capture 98K, but besides the mis-matched numbers on the bolt it looks unmolested. The bore was extremely copper fouled, but after a whole bunch of patches and Sweet's solvent it cleaned up really nice and shiney with no pitting. I think I paid about $225 for it.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info. I can't wait to get down and talk to the local new gun collector in my town; but this time I'm taking his new antique outta the box & plastic. Nothing drives this guy crazy more than taking a beating on a deal, ha ha.

·
Super Moderator
41,422 Posts
Go easy on him. There are a world of folks out there that "just don't know".

·
Registered
31 Posts
I don't know anything about Mitchell Mausers, But I do own a Yugo Mauser, and it's an unissued rifle. I've heard that this is common among yugo rifles. In the process of buying a U.S. captured K98. It is all original dents, dings and all.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This local junk man that has the Mitchell 8mm probably has 10 of them, paid 200 apiece and is priming everybody here to buy the antique never fired guns, ha ha. But thanks to all for the info as I never seen them here on the Yukon.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
There are plenty of Yugo M48's and 24/47's re arsenal ed floating around and are at a reasonable price that are great shooters, many look unfired. Not as pretty as a Mitchell but then you don't have to worry about putting a few scratches on them.

·
Premium Member
13,258 Posts
Bought a Mitchell's some years back because I wanted the Leupold IER scope its owner had installed, and the price was right. Ordered a replacement rear sight, and sold the rifle for pretty much what the entire rig had cost. I'd briefly considered keeping it, but knew the numbers had been force matched and whatnot, so it went.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts