The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My normal carry is one of a few different .380acp pistols, depending on what i am wearing.

occasionally i walk my neighborhood and am wearing something without enough substance to carry the weight of a holster / medium + weapon.

Last night was such an occasion. jogging shorts and a tshirt. I pulled out of retirement my keltec P32 32acp for protection. I have not used her since i got my keltec P3AT, sigs: P230 or P238. For the small p32 i hav ethe extended magazine that gives you 3 more round snad a REAL hand grip. Pistol still fits into a small frame auto elastic band style holder however, which what i wore under the light jogging shorts.

Looking at the ammo in the box.. i apparently had a mix of fmj and hydrashocks. I vaugely remember loading 3 fmj and 6 HS. ie.. a fmj first, last and in the middle, and 3 HS above and below the middle.

I believe my thinking was an initial ball round for penetration in case of an attacker with heavy clothing / jacket, get one in, and during that upset in their attack on me, get better shot placement with the HS rounds..e tc.

that was my thinking anyway.

anyone else do this?

PS.. if your comments are limtied to 'get a bigger gun' don't waste my or your time posting here they will be ignored. I hav eplenty of bigger guns. I'm not gonna go walking with an automag strapped to my leg. thus the small frame samll gun for emergencies. weight and size are an issue for when i walk as I have no real good means of hiding a heavy or bulky weapon.

couple that with the fact i'm sweating. and dont want a 700-1200$ 1911 on me getting it's finish eat off.. vs a very inexpensive keltec poly framed gun i can whip apart and clean off at the sink , wipe dry and hit with some silicone spray and toss back in it's holster. ( after rinshing holster to remove body salts..e tc.. dry..e tc.. )

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
I don't generally mix ammo. Usually I load the entire mag with the same stuff.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I don't generally mix ammo. Usually I load the entire mag with the same stuff.
Same here, but I'm not above carrying a spare mag loaded with different ammo just for the scenario described.

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
in my situation.. I can barely conceal a weapon. spare mag would be even harder. and in a situation wher eI might have a thug pop out at me and hat .62 seconds to react. i don't want to think. gee.. i've got the hollow point mag in.. I need to switch to the ball round mag since he's wearing a big jacket. thus I hav ethe first 2 rounds mixed. one or the other should get thru.. either way.

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
I can't think of any reason not to mix ammo in the same mag soundguy. I open carry a 1911 here with a spare mag in the holster pouch so my situation is different. I also don't have a lot of different ammo to choose from - some FMJ and some lead - I might still have a mag of hollow points and one of semi wadcutters. If I fire 3 or 4 rounds at a bad guy he's NOT getting up. Doesn't really matter what I use from what I have.

With a .380 I'd most likely not worry about mixing hollow points in the mag. I'd simply stick with the FMJ's and empty the mag at the bad guy. A spare mag should be easy enough to keep in a pocket for the .380. By the time you would need to change it though the bad guy should already be dead.

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
darndest thing. the running shorts i have don't have any pockets. makes it hard for me to go out armed. i had to get an elastic belly band holder to even carry a gun with me. florida heat is a butcher too. i sweat all over the place after 30m of walking :) another reason for the cheap plastic gun as the exercise carry.

i sometimes walk later too. for the most part.. I'm not always worried about 2 legged thugs. sometiems i have run in with 4 legged ones too. More than 1 time i have been chased by a LARGE dog or a coyote and a raccoon twice. I now ALWAYS walk armed.

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
I can understand that soundguy. You could switch to short cut off jean shorts. Then at least you'd have a few pockets :)

·
Registered
995 Posts
More than 1 time i have been chased by a LARGE dog or a coyote and a raccoon twice. I now ALWAYS walk armed.
That's why I carry the hollows only now, I used to have a couple FMJ loaded first for warning shots but figured if I had to make a split second shot due to some animal trying to attack me I'd rather have the HP instead.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
My normal carry is one of a few different .380acp pistols, depending on what i am wearing.

occasionally i walk my neighborhood and am wearing something without enough substance to carry the weight of a holster / medium + weapon.

Last night was such an occasion. jogging shorts and a tshirt. I pulled out of retirement my keltec P32 32acp for protection. I have not used her since i got my keltec P3AT, sigs: P230 or P238. For the small p32 i hav ethe extended magazine that gives you 3 more round snad a REAL hand grip. Pistol still fits into a small frame auto elastic band style holder however, which what i wore under the light jogging shorts.

Looking at the ammo in the box.. i apparently had a mix of fmj and hydrashocks. I vaugely remember loading 3 fmj and 6 HS. ie.. a fmj first, last and in the middle, and 3 HS above and below the middle.

I believe my thinking was an initial ball round for penetration in case of an attacker with heavy clothing / jacket, get one in, and during that upset in their attack on me, get better shot placement with the HS rounds..e tc.

that was my thinking anyway.

anyone else do this?

PS.. if your comments are limtied to 'get a bigger gun' don't waste my or your time posting here they will be ignored. I hav eplenty of bigger guns. I'm not gonna go walking with an automag strapped to my leg. thus the small frame samll gun for emergencies. weight and size are an issue for when i walk as I have no real good means of hiding a heavy or bulky weapon.

couple that with the fact i'm sweating. and dont want a 700-1200$ 1911 on me getting it's finish eat off.. vs a very inexpensive keltec poly framed gun i can whip apart and clean off at the sink , wipe dry and hit with some silicone spray and toss back in it's holster. ( after rinshing holster to remove body salts..e tc.. dry..e tc.. )
In the smaller caliber hand guns, like the .380, I do mix HP's, and FMJ's. IMHO, the FMJ's will give you about 14"-16" of penetration, while the HP's will only give you about 10" of penetration, if they expand. I too wear elastic waist band shorts, and a T shirt most of the time, and I carry a 1911A, along with a spare 10 round mag. You can carry anything you want to if you do it right! In the pic below, I'm carring a 1911A, a 10 round spare mag, and .38 snubie, along with a knife.

Attachments

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can understand that soundguy. You could switch to short cut off jean shorts. Then at least you'd have a few pockets :)
i can tell ya for sure if i get any more shorts i'l pay WAY more attention to what i'm getting. when i went shoppin.. i was lookign for that sports weave fabric for cooling and non chaffing.. etc. wasn't untill i got home i noticed i had no good place for my piece. heck.. even a cell phone on a holder on the waistband is klunky.. :) but yeah.. different shorts when these wear out for sure..

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's why I carry the hollows only now, I used to have a couple FMJ loaded first for warning shots but figured if I had to make a split second shot due to some animal trying to attack me I'd rather have the HP instead.
i don't do warning shots. I figure a fmj will go into a dog just fine.. same as a HP :)

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
i can tell ya for sure if i get any more shorts i'l pay WAY more attention to what i'm getting. when i went shoppin.. i was lookign for that sports weave fabric for cooling and non chaffing.. etc. wasn't untill i got home i noticed i had no good place for my piece. heck.. even a cell phone on a holder on the waistband is klunky.. :) but yeah.. different shorts when these wear out for sure..
TMI!
:eek::D

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
likie a country hotel.

no ballroom :)

anyway. no room for the GUN :)

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Idk, I think it makes things complicated. Like those who load their home defense shotgun with a slug - 00 - slug - 00, makes things complicated. Better off having ALL rounds Hollowpoints, and ALL shells with buckshot, or #6, or whatever you choose to keep.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Nothing complicated about it. Just stagger the FMJ's with the HP's, or the buck shot, and slugs, and pull the trigger when you need to. At SD ranges shot gun shot, of any size will not have much of a spread. It will still be in the cup, and will hit as a solid. Shot, slugs, and bullets, will have to be placed on target to get a stopage. Bad hits, and complete misses are common in SD situations. Be prepared to make the most of those bad hits!

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i agree. not sure how it complicates it.

you pull the trigger as normal. if the perp is wearing heavy clothing.. figure half the rounds are gonna have reduced effect.. but half will have , hopefully, desired effect.

same with a more soft target. IE.. dog attack or un armoured perp. some shots might penetrat more than you want.. some will do the expand thing. on the sub caliber i'm using.. overpenetration is not a huge concern.. :)

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
i agree. not sure how it complicates it.

you pull the trigger as normal. if the perp is wearing heavy clothing.. figure half the rounds are gonna have reduced effect.. but half will have , hopefully, desired effect.

same with a more soft target. IE.. dog attack or un armoured perp. some shots might penetrat more than you want.. some will do the expand thing. on the sub caliber i'm using.. overpenetration is not a huge concern.. :)
There you go! T shirt, or leather jacket, it no longer matters. Some rounds will get to the place you want them!

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yup... man, dog, tshit, heavy jacket. all good. :)

·
Registered
294 Posts
I carry a mixed load now in my 40. For a while I even thought about a few bird shot loads but I never did more than think about it.

I carry two 15 rnd mags. I use 155 gr hy-shock. The last box of these that I bought was 20 rounds for just over 35 dollars. I am still walking a little funny over that one.

I am too cheap to fill both mags with hy-shocks at that price, but I want the full 14 rounds. (Getting that last round in is a pain in the thumb.) So I load 14 HS in one in the gun, 6 HS and 8 180 FMJs under the hy-shocks just to fill the mags evenly. If 14 hy-shocks don't put what ever I am shooting at down then I will reload while running home to get my AR.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
If you're sweating that much in that kind of heat, I think a perp in a heavy jacket isn't gonna happen enough to worry about. I carry HP's all the time but I do have a spare mag of FMJ's on hand. But then I don't jog either...and I think they passed a law hereabouts prohibiting me from wearing shorts in public...

1 - 20 of 60 Posts