The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One thing I did not like about my MKII was trying to keep track of the small parts if I ever had to field strip it. Someone told me the MKIII has less parts than the MKII. Is this true?
If I did not have to keep a magnet and magnifying glass with me in case I dropped that little T piece in the tall grass, I would consider getting a MKIII.
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
383 Posts
PMK I have fired 1,000's of rounds through my Mark II Bull Barrell and have never tore it down as far as you have. I clean it and lube it and put it back together. IMO I would think the Mark III would have more parts because of the extra saftey indicators built in to the pistol. I have Mark I's and Mark II's, I don't have any Mark III's.

·
Premium Member
3,922 Posts
PMK I think you will find the Mk III has more parts since they have added the loaded chamber indicator and the magazine dis-connector and spring. I have only had all the parts out of my two MK IIIs one time and that was when I put in a trigger kit and eliminated the magazine dis connector. I have not ever had to field strip either one at the range and back at home when I clean them most times I just take the main spring housing and the bolt out and give the gun a once over. Occasionally I will clean further when I remove the barrel but I am not familiar with the little T piece you are referring to.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
I have never had the very first problem with a
Mark I or II......to the point that I have never
seen a need for the III
Stand on your head to put her back together.....
yep....but never any 'lost' parts.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I'm not sure which T-shaped piece you're referring to either. The recoil spring assembly maybe?
Either way, the MkIII does have more parts than a Std/MkI or MkII...but nothing you'll notice while fieldstripping it.
Fieldstripping any of the three generations will give you the same 4 basic sub-assemblies: Grip Frame, Mainspring Housing, Barrel/Receiver, and the Bolt (along with the recoil spring).
You need to detail strip the pistol to get more parts flinging around. Like Todd and ozo posted, I've never had to do even a full fieldstrip at the range...I did have to pull the bolt to clean some crud from the extractors a couple of times, but the barrel stayed on the frame so I only had three sub-assemblies in hand doing those.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts