The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was off today and decided to exercise the wheel guns at the range. My S&W 19-4 experienced light primer strikes fairly often on my hand loads. Each time there was a light strike, I was double action, no problems single action. Went bang every time with Winchester and Federal factory ammo. I am using CCI 500's and my model 15-2 did not experience this.

I have only had this 19 for a little more than a year, and it has been a year since shooting it. No issues prior. I have no history on it so I don't know if someone has massaged it in the past.

The mainspring screw in the grip handle is tight. The mainspring interferes with the grip screw when installing the grips. Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
CCI primers do seem to be a little harder but you posted that the grip screws were interfering with the main spring. well when your car wont start on a cold winter night , before working on it check to make sure it has gas in it. Been there , done that. It is always a good ideal to check things one step at a time.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For giggle's and grins, back off the grip screws and retry
I'll try that next outing.

Haven't fired it in a year... So maybe a blast of Gun Scrubber or good old Brake Cleaner to clean out coagulated oil or grease? Just a thought.
I clean often, have never had the side plate off of this one though, I'll take a look. I don't think I'll be using brake cleaner as it is nickel.

I had the same thing happen with a custom 686.
I went back to WW primers and the problem went away.
Those CCI primers are hard.
CCI's are hard, but this gun should detonate them in my opinion.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
2Fish, I agree with you , A good condition Model 19 should eat CCI jprimers like Christmas candy. Get back with us, there are several reasons for light strikes , keep us informed on what you do. We have a couple of gun smiths on the om the forum who are the cats meow ( me, I just have a shade tree out back and a 6 pound hammer ):)

t stricks.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

At this point, I am inclined to believe that the mainspring has become weak. You can see in the side by side pic that the mainspring on the 19 is bowed far more than the 15. I also think this is why the spring interferes with the grip screw. The strain screws are the same size leading me to believe that it was not shortened.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
"ya, I see your point on the spring profile but I find it hard to believe that a S&W would have this particular problem; I mean the guns they make are so darned good. However, maybe the spring somehow lost it's temper or never really had it....?
BTW - nice twins!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Was off today and decided to exercise the wheel guns at the range. My S&W 19-4 experienced light primer strikes fairly often on my hand loads. Each time there was a light strike, I was double action, no problems single action. Went bang every time with Winchester and Federal factory ammo. I am using CCI 500's and my model 15-2 did not experience this.

I have only had this 19 for a little more than a year, and it has been a year since shooting it. No issues prior. I have no history on it so I don't know if someone has massaged it in the past.

The mainspring screw in the grip handle is tight. The mainspring interferes with the grip screw when installing the grips. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Had same problem with a 19. Try replacing the main spring. Worked for me.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Make sure the mainspring is installed correctly. It doesn't look like it.
Springs seldom get weak-regardless of everyone changing them out like underwear.
Brake cleaner won't hurt your nickel plating, BTW.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
With this gun being 40 years old and not knowing who might have tried to improve the action, I opted for a new mainspring and rebound spring. They came in yesterday and after installation, she runs like a champ and the mainspring does not interfere with the grip screw. Thanks all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts