The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Model 25 Remington Pump repeater in Carbine model in the 32-20 loading. The problem I have is that after employing the rearward movement of the slide, I have to exert an extreme amount of forward pressure to move the slide forward. The lock up is tight when the bolt is finally closed. I have dismantled the arm, internally it seemed quite clean. I cleaned the bolt in solvent and relubricated it with thin gun oil. I cleaned and oiled the magazine insides and the slide itself. I fully cleaned and scoured the inside of the rear portion of the slide mechanism and the same for the rear receiver,trigger mechanism. It feels as if, upon ejection, the bolt is traveling too far into the stock (where it is cut away) and thus, you need to snap it out of that position to cycle the action closed. The problem is that you cannot get a second and third shot with this glitch....I need to resolve it or get rid of the gun in lieu of something smoother....Please help!
Thank you kindly, in advance, for your responses and thoughts!
Bob D. Pawleys Island, SC

·
Registered
194 Posts
There are several problems that can cause this situation in a slide action weapon. Could be the action bar, the breech block, etc. The gun will have to be completely taken down and inspected to find the problem. This model hasnt been manufactured since 1935. Could be alot of wear to some parts. I have not had one of these in for repair so Im not familiar enough with it to know of any known problems with this model.

·
Registered
745 Posts
first- does it cycle ok with no cartridges,, second- is the chamber clean, no powder or other residue, rust,,,
third- are your cartridges new as in store bought,,, or reloads ???
if reloads check the cartridge diameter, have they been resized full length ?? if not cartridges could be ok in a diff gun but too large for this chamber !!
last- may wish to have a local gunsmith run a go-nogo gauge in the chamber,, to make sure it hasnt been rechambered and not restamped, have seen this several times on older guns ,,good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you both...gun is thouroughly cleaned internally. no I haven't shot it, did not want to in this condition as I wont keep if cycling is this bad. The gun is marked 32-20 and appears right except for the rebluing. everything else looks really nice...bolt wear seems nil. I though it might be the lifter, but chked it out earlier today, cleaned and thin oiled it but problem still remains unresolved. Thank you for responding....Hope Rickster responds also, as he seems to have thourough knowedge about this rifle....Regards...bob

·
Registered
108 Posts
thank you both...gun is thouroughly cleaned internally. no I haven't shot it, did not want to in this condition as I wont keep if cycling is this bad. The gun is marked 32-20 and appears right except for the rebluing. everything else looks really nice...bolt wear seems nil. I though it might be the lifter, but chked it out earlier today, cleaned and thin oiled it but problem still remains unresolved. Thank you for responding....Hope Rickster responds also, as he seems to have thourough knowedge about this rifle....Regards...bob
If you took your question to The Remington Society of America , site you would probably get a some good feedback from NambuJim . Jim is an expert on Model 14s and 141s , and probably knows a thing or two about the Mod. 25 too !

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you kindly I do appreciate it. I will try him....do you know RICKSTER, a member on this site? I think he is knowledeable also on the 25 but did not answer my email request directed to him....thank you, bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts