Modern Technology in firearms.

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by ms6852, Jul 27, 2020.

1. ms6852

ms6852 GUNZILLA Supporting Member

I was just wondering how much technology can actually work against the shooting sport enthusiast while creating a huge demand in the industry and a market that is really not needed.
    I mention this because I was in another forum reading posts where people spend tons of money on custom builds, electronics and gadgets and for me I still believe in the factory rifle and doing things on paper. For example one of the biggest turnoffs for me is to see a rifle with levels mounted on the scope or the barrel. I believe that if you do not know how to use a plumb line and perform a tall target test having a level on your barrel will still not help you down the line when your target is a few hundred yards.

I also feel people place to much trust on ballistic apps when the formulas are easy to work out, why trust someone you don't know or have ever seen. When it comes to shooting, for me I want to know that it is my skill with my rifle are still up to par. It's enough that you have to concentrate on your sight picture, the wind, your trigger and now you have to add an additional step by making sure your level is leveled.

I can afford the most expensive rifles, and gadgets but than where is the fun and challenge in shooting with what you have factory or custom and than have scopes dialed in for a specific bullet weight and distances instead of you figuring it out.

I applaud the pure shooters that still do the musket and black powder like it was done in the past. Enough of my ranting, would like your thoughts.

Gudaki, grcsat, Firpo and 2 others like this.
  2. BlackEagle

BlackEagle TFF Chaplain Supporting Member

I prefer to keep it simple. Someone in the club has a fancy video scope. I have scopes on my rifles. What I have works for me and the shooting I do. I tried a red dot scope, didn't like it. Creedmore sights on my .45-70.

I did get one of those wind gauges but never use it, and I have a spotter scope.

The high tech people have to find new ways to get people to part with their money, but I like to test my skill when shooting.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
    Gudaki, Broot, howlnmad and 1 other person like this.

3. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

A spirit level front sight isn't new technology, it's been around since the black powder days. Having that Sharps level was pretty important when using those tall tang mounted aperture sights, off level on a long range shot affected windage.

The rest of that stuff, well that's what the good Lord gave us brains for.

BlackEagle, Gudaki, Broot and 2 others like this.
  4. ms6852

Wow did not know that the spirit levels were around that long. I'm like Blackeagle, when it comes to shooting I want to test my skills, for me that is where the challenge and fun begins.

BlackEagle, Gudaki and Grizzley1 like this.
  5. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

I guess I'm odd> I LIKE ALL OF IT. No matter what someone does in his/her sport, it is all good to me and not worth my time to try and denigrate them because it is not the way I do it.

BlackEagle, Gudaki, ms6852 and 2 others like this.
  6. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I agree with the “whatever scratches your itch” philosophy. That said I’m like @ms6852 and have no use for all the hi tech gadgets and gizmos. I still shoot iron sights and what’s fun to me is shooting off-hand. I’ll use a bench when developing loads and of course sighting in a gun but once that’s dialed in I tend to avoid the bench. I figure there won’t always be a tree to lean against so I’ll shoot from various positions to see how good a shot I really am.

7. ms6852

Not really trying to denigrate anyone as much as trying to understand why or if technology can have an effect, I guess on skills or maybe if it really is fun just hitting the target over and over and all the computers and gadgets really make it that much more fun.

I'm like @Firpo I love shooting free hand and get really serious shooting my rifle 22lr rifle at 200 yards to prepare me for hunting season 3 to 4 months in advance. Many years I see my brothers miss many a deer or elk because they like to shoot from a bench but won't bother to shoot standing, kneeling, sitting on ground or prone. By all means my way is never the only way but my brothers have custom turrets for their rifle scopes and all they do is dial 1 or 2 or 3 for yardage in hundreds and they find it to be a hoot, until one year they did not have the correct ammo specified for that scope and they thought it would be no big deal. I could have helped them dial it in as the velocity was on the box but decided not too. Sometimes you gotta burn your hand to learn a lesson.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    BlackEagle, Gudaki and Firpo like this.
  8. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

Spirit level front sights have been around for nearly as long as long range target shooting.

If you get that long range rifle with that 5 inch tall tang mounted staff even a little off level the top of the staff is going to be way off to one side. Not a big deal if you were shooting 100 yards at a buffalo using the buck horn rear sight, but on a 1000 yard shot at Creedmore, you'd miss by several feet.

BlackEagle and ms6852 like this.
  9. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Man i'd be hurting too. Half those positions i can't get into anymore.:(

10. ms6852

Prone is out for me, with my belly I am like a seesaw in a school yard.

BlackEagle, Gudaki, Grizzley1 and 3 others like this.
  11. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I wouldn't even get up from that position. That's where i'd be the next day when the rescue party finds me.:(

BlackEagle, Gudaki, gvw3 and 2 others like this.