The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as I have said before. I live in the woods.:D Yesterday one of its residents came calling. This big boy just walked past the 100 yard berm and then stood there for about three or four minutes. Kind of neat. The first picture shows the rifle range with the 50 and 100 pretty clear. The 200 is barely visible and the 300 is in the fog.You can see the 25 yard target if you look on the far right of the picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,415 Posts
That is majestic. Nice pics. Also, when the world caves in, people like you will be the well fortified survivors.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Ya, moose are special residents around here too; I won't shoot the local garden visitors but they ain't pets either. I've had them lick the road salt off my truck. Had them look in our dining room window as we sat 3 foot away. I even had a yearling had this habit of walking up on the porch and bedding down on this green plastic grass (get mud off shoes) we had in front of the door. I'd open door in the dark and trip over the moose, the moose would scramble off porch and stand there looking at me 10 yards away. Have had certain cows that I could hand feed and sit down on a log and talk to when I walked up on them in woods around the house. Moose are just great.

·
Premium Member
13,686 Posts
That's really nice. We've had bears in our veggie and herb gardens - had to shoo a couple out not too long ago, and we've had deer waltzing around out on our deck. This past spring the critters ate my better half's strawberries, which she'd been nurturing in deck railing planter boxes.

·
TFF Chaplain
22,031 Posts
Nice pictures. Thanks for sharing.

UK doesn't have that kind of wildlife. Only thing like that I get is the odd hedge hog scuffling through.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks one of these days i will see one in person gonna have to go to Maine i guess
Actually if you want to see a really big one go to the Yukon. They dwarf the size of our Moose. Which are still really large in my opinion.:eek::D

·
Premium Member
13,686 Posts
Actually if you want to see a really big one go to the Yukon. They dwarf the size of our Moose. Which are still really large in my opinion.:eek::D
I've seen moose in the Cataldo, Idaho area, and I've also seen them up in the Canadian Yukon, and you're right - North Idaho moose are big, but Yukon moose are BIG .

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I had the bejeezus scared out of me in the 2011 Deer/Elk hunting season on the Grand Mesa when I turned around and a Bull Moose was just standing there looking at me from about 20 yards.
He was HUGE!
I had heard they had little fear, and he convinced me. This is an area with no tags issued for Moose, so I figure he wasn't too experienced with humans.
I swear, he walked to a fence and stepped over it, not jumped, stepped.
And his rack was enormous. I was so intrigued I forgot to get pics!
Still kicking myself for that.
But what a sight, at that range and with his size.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts