More Activity

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 7, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Bompa
    (6/18/01 9:00:41 am)
    Reply More activity
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sure wish there was more activity in this thread..
    One would think that there would be a larger number of people
    out there that enjoyed the 1911 and had things to say..
    Do we have any of those people that have to fix it even if it
    isn't broke,like me..
    Love to tinker and the 1911 is a tinkerers dream...
    Looking for a frame so I can tinker some more..Maybe do a
    22lr conv. kit on a dedicated frame..Don't know whose kit to
    try,had a ciener and had bad luck with it..

How about it people,,liven up this topic..

tuckerd1
    (6/18/01 9:38:50 am)
    Reply Re: More activity
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bompa,

I have a Ciener Platinum Cup unit and have only put around 500 rds through it so far. It functioned great for me on my Gold Cup frame. I did have 3 failures to feed using Rem Thunderbolt ammo. It didn't pick up the round at all. Hammer fell on a empty chamber. Winchester Super X and Copper Plated HP fed great though. Very accurate too. I'm happy. Will work great for new shooter training. Low recoil and inexpensive ammo.

I have heard the Ciener unit is the one Kimber sales??? Anyone know??

I have 3 1911's I'm taking to gunsmith this weekend. 2 (Kimber Custom Target and Springfield V16) for trigger work and third for complete custom package. Colt Series 70 Gold Cup NM I'm having a Kart NM barrel, Ed Brown NM bushing, beavertail grip safety, extended thumb safety, hammer, two pc guide rod, new internal trigger group parts and Videki trigger installed.

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (6/18/01 9:50:20 am)
    I knew you would answer this one Tuck. Bompa, this forum does get stale from time to time. So jump in and post. I don't think anyone has a 1911 they don't tinker with. I just built my 1st IPSC Open Class gun.

Xracer
    (6/18/01 12:21:09 pm)
    A lot of us here are '11 fans. I have three...."Mother", my competition gun that I built on an Essex frame, "Sam", my tricked-out LW Commander carry gun, and "Sgt. York", my all-original WWI Colt M1911, complete with WWI web-belt, holster, magazine pouches, and magazines.

Anytime you want to talk 1911s.......just post.

Bompa
    (6/18/01 1:23:26 pm)
    Tuckerd1,
    Bought a Ciener conv. kit years ago and spent too much
    time trying to get it to work right..The darn thing would let
    the hammer follow the slide nine times out of ten..Tried it on
    every frame I had at the time and nothing worked..Sent it
    back to the maker and was told there was nothing wrong with
    it..Never did get it to work,came close when I put a 23lb.
    main spring in the frame I chose to keep it on but the trigger pull was terrible..Finely just gave up on it..Building a 9mm
    on that frame,should work much better..
    What I believe was a good part of the problem was the lack
    of a cocking rail on the slide..There was only a boss with the
    disconnector slot in it. Are they still that way ??
    Wonder if the new ones will work with a Optima 2000 red dot
    sight,it's the lightest thing going..The eyes are going so help
    is needed and I like that system..
    You get old and every thing falls apart..

NeoDebo
    (6/18/01 1:41:02 pm)
    I have two 1911's. Both are "untinkered with" and are in original condition except for a bit of use.

1) WWII Colt, and 2) a Colt Combat Elite.

I have an old model Colt .22 RF Conversion Unit. It works perfectly on either.

When in the back country, on horseback, etc., I use an old "across-the-chest" military shoulder holster. Most of the time when I carry concealed I use the old "(ethnic reference) Carry", i.e., I just stick it in my belt.

Edited by: NeoDebo at: 6/18/01 2:43:31 pm

tuckerd1
    (6/18/01 2:31:59 pm)
    Bompa, I'll check the conv unit when I get home and see if it is different than you described. Let you know tonite.

Okay, I checked my unit and it has a rail built into the slide. It is probably 1/8- 3/16" high x 1 1/2-1 3/4 long, and it has the disconnector indent in it.

Like I said, mine works great. Bought it about one month ago from Cabela's. Same price I had found everywhere, plus you can return it.

Edited by: tuckerd1 at: 6/18/01 5:11:59 pm

Bompa
    (6/18/01 6:36:50 pm)
    Thanks Tuckerd1..
    Will have to look into it again.. Just wondering do you have a
    reduced power main spring in the frame you are using with the
    conv. kit?? As all my 1911s are "game" guns,for want of a better word,the trigger pulls are in the three and a quarter
    lb. or so I wondered if that might have any bearing on
    reliability..
    Thanks for your help..

tuckerd1
    (6/18/01 7:24:33 pm)
    Bompa, It is a stock mainspring in the Gold Cup. I'm going to try it on my Kimber while the Gold CUp is getting the custom treatment. I'll let you know how it works on it. It is stock also.

tuckerd1
    (6/18/01 7:31:53 pm)
    Debo,

I used to have an original Colt 1911, made 1918, US Army issue, until someone came in my house about 20 yrs ago and got it.

I looked at the Colt conversion also, but they are expensive today.

Bought a Bianchi shoulder rig for hunting this winter for my V16. We'll see how it works out.

I'm looking at a Fobus or DiSantis paddle rig for concealed carry. Comfotable, holds the pistol well and easy to remove the pistol except where someone is trying to take it.

hammer4nc
    (6/18/01 7:59:13 pm)
    Yeah, to tinker...got a couple used cheap 1911 variants (amt stainless and nickel plated auto-ordnance), used to practice kitchen-table gunsmithing. Changed out triggers, beavertail grip safeties, slide catch, mainspring housings, etc.

One of the biggest factors in 1911 accuracy is the barrel bushing fit. Bought one of those oversize bushings, and a reamer from Brownells...after hand fitting the bushing, even the cheap guns can produce good accuracy.

I have a para p16-40, great gun as-is that I haven't messed with, and most recently, bought a para-ordnance gunsmith kit frame, and intend to build up a custom 45...with a AMT 7" slide assembly...when I can find the time. Slide-to-frame, and barrel lug fitting promise to be the most critical and challenging aspects, I think, and if anyone has been through this (tools and techniques), I'll probably need help.

I haven't been tempted to try the .22 conversion, as I have a S&W 422, almost identical ergonomics to the 1911. Nice gun.

Has anyone got the Jerry Kuhnhausen 1911 shop manuals yet? All the knowledgeable guys say these are essential.

Might be good to compare notes on some of these projects as they progress. Good parts/bad parts, what not to do...

More activity? Good topic, bompa.

tuckerd1
    (6/18/01 8:23:53 pm)
    hammer,

Exactly what I had in mind. Want to build my own and learn, just to say I did it. Want to try to start as soon as I can. May have to wait until I know what my job is going to do though.

I'm with ya'll, we need more discussion here.

Bompa
    (6/19/01 8:05:05 pm)
    Hammer..
    Got the Kuhnhausen shop manual #1 and it is worth every
    penny that it costs..A gold mine of information and easy to
    understand with lots of pictures..
    I understand that there is a teck page on brownells web site
    that has some good stuff also..

tuckerd1
    (6/22/01 2:40:02 pm)
    Bompa,

Shot the Ciener unit again yesterday ~300 rds. Performed flawlessly. Check out the Platinum Cup unit at www.22lrconversions.com/platinum.htm

Bompa
    (6/22/01 8:21:39 pm)
    Tuckerd1..
    Called down there and spoke to somebody and was told that
    one could not put a tasco optima 2000 on slide and expect
    it to work..That means I must think about drilling the frame..
    Not sure I want to go there again..Got to decide if it is worth it..Decisions , decisions...

tuckerd1
    (6/22/01 8:49:02 pm)
    Never had a scope or above slide sight system on the 1911. Can't help you there. What about the grip style mounts?

Found another 22 conversion unit if you are interested. It is in CDNN Investments Vol. 2001-2 mailer, 800 588-9500.

Here is what it says:

Colt Factory 1911 22LR Conversion, Refinished original blue finish, Acro Adjustble Sight, Complete w/Slide & Spring. Military number marked on top Argentine Contract. 1-10 rd Mag. Very rare. Fits full size autos.

Pre series 80 $339.95

Edited by: tuckerd1 at: 6/22/01 9:49:42 pm

Bompa
    (6/22/01 10:54:34 pm)
    I guess if I was to spend that much the Marvel,I believe
    thats what it was,is the way to go..Target pistol accurate
    amd choice of sighting systems..
    If I did that I would be looking for a frame to put it on and
    those are hard to come by in this state..
    Who said things would be easy ?? Hell I went to put a brand new air conditioner in the window today and the damn thing
    jumped out and smashed all to hell on the cement walk..
    I used some words that haven't been used by me since my navy days and I won't say how long ago that was..
    I quit for the day...