More Cold Bluing

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 24, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

dksdks
    (9/12/02 11:46:47 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All comments on hoppes re-blue kit??
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Staying on what seems to be a popular topic I would appreciate any comments on the quality and the ease of application of hoppes re blue kit.

I want to re blue a 20 year old shotgun and hoppes is the only product I have seen.

Many thanks

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/12/02 1:21:14 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: comments on hoppes re-blue kit??
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    All bluing techniques, whether using a hot-bath method or a cold-blue method, are completely dependant upon the quality of metal preparation. 99% of those using the wipe-on/wipe-off blue kits get splotchy, gray results; doesnt matter whether its Hoppes, Outers, 44/40, whoever. Plus, the application stinks (literally, like rotten eggs).

The best home-bluing process I've seen is the Blue Wonder kit put out by Novum Solutions. It requires more work than the wipe-on/wipe-off method, but it produces much better results.

None will come close to a professionally blued finish, but it is a lot less expensive.
    We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Master Dealer for Kimber, Wilson Combat and Dan Wesson

dksdks
    (9/12/02 2:37:30 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del expense
    Thanks, as you said, for an old gun it is not worth spending about $100 dollars to have it reblued, when I can do it for ~ 20.

The gun is a 20 year old Stephanaise st. Edien s/s, which works and handles beautifully but for some reason has lost the bluing or colour from the barells, so when you use it you get rust or paint on your hands.(some brown die of some sort)

BlackGun
    *TFF Staff*
    (9/18/02 4:06:21 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: expense
    I have gone through my 4th bottle of blue Wonder, and I won't use anything else. Now if your loking for a place to buy this stuff just click on the link www.apaxenterprises.com
    I suffer from occasional loss of mental stability, and become very violent with only slight provocation. The Veterans Administration has determined that both mental and physical harassment of my person may be hazardous to your health and well being. So stay away from my Donuts!!

BlackGUN

gpostal
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/18/02 6:41:12 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: expense
    tried hoppes a few times ,never got results worth a darn

dksdks
    (9/19/02 12:16:07 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del too late
    I bought is so I will have to use it whatever.

kgnovum
    (9/19/02 11:24:17 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: too late
    Antiquedr - Though our company makes Blue Wonder Gun Blue, I still am not a gunsmith and have a question for you regarding your post above.

Our blue will also give a grey, mottled, blotchy finish and will not get dark, if residue is in the pores of the metal. These can include rust, oil, grease, solvents, etc. but the worst is polishing compound or jeweler's rouge residue. If polishing compound is used prior to using our bluing, it is difficult to get a good finish. What do you use or recommend to get it out, bearing in mind that with our blue, the microscopic pores must be free of residue as our blue "bonds" to rather than "oxidizes" the metal. The only fairly effective way we have found is to boil the piece in water mixed with our cleaner for about an hour or so...

Thanks, KG

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/20/02 4:57:20 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: too late
    If I use wheels and polishing compound for metal prep, I will probably not be using Blue Wonder. The polishing compounds I use are Polish-O-Ray, through the 555 grit. Cleaning prior to blue is a hot water/cleaner immersion followed by a rinse.

For Blue Wonder touch-up bluing, the cleaner marketed by Novum works well provided that the steel wool used for application is also clean, and it is important that the user wear gloves when handling the piece.
    We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Master Dealer for Kimber, Wilson Combat and Dan Wesson

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/20/02 5:38:12 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: too late
    OK - I already got my butt kicked for the Enfield mags in the dishwasher bit - now am I supposed to get the wife's pasta pot out and boil the parts first? Sheesh - this boy ain't gonna live too much longer ----
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!