More fishin'

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by SilasW, Jun 26, 2020.

1. SilasW

SilasW Well-Known Member

Walleye are excellent eating. The elk meat of fish.

2. ms6852

ms6852 GUNZILLA Supporting Member

I was thinking more like the bacon of fish.

3. accident

accident Well-Known Member Supporting Member

True. My good friend and the Best Man at my wedding 37 yrs ago is from Findlay Ohio. He has always told me about them going to Lake Erie and catching Walleye and Yellow Perch. He has brought to me both to fry up. They're both really good. We have no Walleye here in Ga except in the very Northern Ga mountain lakes. But we do have a few Yellow Perch. I'm used to L-mouth bass, Bream, catfish,chain pickerel, warmouth perch, bowfin (mudfish), occasional garfish, crappie, white,striped,hybrid bass, and a few others.

4. SilasW

SilasW Well-Known Member

Got to do some fishing down that way when I was stationed at Ft Stewart GA. Fishing was good but I was always looking over my shoulder for those stupid gators.

5. howlnmad

howlnmad Old Guy Doing Things Moderator Supporting Member

If you was lookin over your shoulder, you was lookin da wrong way. They gonna come straight out at you.

6. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Easiest way to not have to worry 'bout gators is don't go where gators is!

SilasW, ysacres, ms6852 and 3 others like this.
  7. flyingtiger85

flyingtiger85 Well-Known Member

I went to visit my brother near the Villages North of Orlando Florida.There seems to be a pond every mile or half a mile or so.There is an alligator in almost in every one of them.They are sneaky to.They submerge and when you leave the area of the pond two little eyes pop up to the surface.

Shooter45 and joe45c like this.
  8. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member Supporting Member

It's when they unsubmerge and grab onto my leg that makes me unhappy!:eek:

9. accident

accident Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Having spent a good bit of my childhood in South GA, I have had some funny encounters with alligators. Every Spring for years my father and I would spend a few days in the Okeefenokee Swamp. Once when I was about 7 yrs old my father and I were tooling along an open area of the swamp and before I could warn him we hit a partially submerged gator. It almost tore the 6hp evinrude from the transom and it was all I could do to keep from being launched into the water with the gator. Another time when I was a teenager a friend and I were cleaning some Okeefenokee catfish in the little screened in "fish cleaning station". Just as my friend had opened the door to step out and dispose of some fish parts the local resident alligator was waiting at the door for an easy meal. I don't know what was louder the opened mouth HISS from the gator or my friend's scream when he all but stepped on the gator's head. It took me an hour to find my friend in the dark. My Aunt and Uncle had a cabin on Lake Blackshear and my cousins had just taught me to water ski (I was about 10 or 11). While I was in the water with ski rope in hand I was waiting on them to take off in the boat and pull me up. I looked over and floating in the water just 10yds away was a huge alligator watching me. While I waved and screamed nervously for them to take off, my cousins just laughed histerically at the predicament I was in. Just thought I would share.

10. sharps4590

You were a braver boy than me!!!!

11. ms6852

ms6852 GUNZILLA Supporting Member

You know this reminds me of something. Are large mouth bass good eating? I've always considered them a sport fish and have literally caught thousands of them fishing but I always released them. So I have no idea if they are good. I have eaten a lot of white bass but not large mouth or small mouth for that matter.

joe45c and Winchester94 like this.
  12. sharps4590

Sure largemouth are good. Not as good as a few others but they're still a pan fish and fry up nicely. Smallies I can't make myself keep though yes, they are good to eat. They're like brown trout that they're long lived and it takes 6-10 years to grow a good smallie, depending on habitat. A 6-8 lb. smallie here in the Ozarks can easily be 20 years old....and some dolt will keep it and eat a treasure like that. That and they've been so decimated by poachers here in the Ozarks I won't keep any.

joe45c, SilasW and pdkfishing like this.
  13. pdkfishing

pdkfishing Well-Known Member Supporting Member

IMHO largemouth bass in the pound to about two weight range are good eating. Much bigger than that don't seem to have much taste at all. :twocents: BTW, you can catch them with a fly rod, which, IMHO, is far and away the most fun way to fish. :D

Winchester94, joe45c, ysacres and 2 others like this.
  14. shootbrownelk

shootbrownelk Well-Known Member

I agree on the Walleye as great eats, but the jumbo yellow perch is right up there for me as well. Crappie a distant 3rd.

joe45c likes this.
  15. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Several years ago a bunch of us were camping and we fried up some Walleye and some Bass. Did a taste test and the consensuses was they both tasted so good nobody could decide which one they liked better. Of course after a few beers and the fish being cooked in beer batter might have had something to do with our clouded judgment.:cheers:

pdkfishing and sharps4590 like this.