more questions on reblueing

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by budmorris, Apr 21, 2009.

1. budmorris

budmorris New Member

I have a colt model 1911 manufactured in 1913 that I inherited and it has initials etched in the slide. I'm embarassed enough by this that I want to try and polish out the initials and reblue the result but I dont want to reblue the entire gun. I think I can polish out the initials with somevery fine rubber wheels that I use for polishing gold (I'm a dentist) but I've never tried this before and would appreciate any help anyone might offer especially regarding brand names of reblueing material etc. IMG_3236.jpg
    Thanks for any help you can give me>

2. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Just my opinion, but this is not the type piece you want to do a homemade reblue on. I'd take it to a gun smith that does rebluing and let them handle the job. It really wont be that expensive.

3. I must agree with ROMT on this one, Bud. What you have there could easily turn out to be a fine shooter. It would be well worth the cost to have the gun redone by a professional. I think you will be very pleasantly surprised at how it will turn out if professionally buffed and hot blued. If the barrel is in bad shape, a new one is easy to find.

4. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

and I second that. Cold bluing a gun like that will give you unexpected results that can also kill the value. Old 1911's of that era are very high dollar from a collecting standpoint. From the looks of the rest of the barrel and slide, it could use a professional job. Just a word of warning however, when calling around for a Smith to do it for you don't be surprised if they pass on the work. Pre war 1911's carry a hefty price tag. Many would be more than happy to do the work, some may think its too much of a liability. Good luck.

5. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

budmorris, I also agree with the other posters on this one. The rule of thumb is if the gun is really old, and possibily a colector piece, please take it to a qualified smith for work. Sometimes a gun's value can be lost due to someones attempt to restore it. Restoration is not always a good thing!

6. budmorris

budmorris New Member

I really appreciate the honest input. Sounds like this is not the piece to learn on. I'll try and find a good gunsmith.
    Thanks guys

7. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

budmorris, good call. I've seen these in the $3K range at the shows. If your #'s match look out;)

8. 9 fingers

9 fingers New Member

Bud, call your local gun shop(s) and ask them for advice on a good gunsmith for doing the work you want done. They will know who to recommend. Show us how it turns out.
    9 fingers

9. BillP

BillP New Member

That gun looks like an excellent candidate for one of the modern bake on finishes. I have to say that I have never seen a good durable reblue job done by anyone other than an expert. Sadly many gunsmiths that do rebluing are not experts. Often it comes out looking OK but lacks staying power. Other times the parts color differently or one part gets a durable finish but it wears off another part quickly.

I have come to the conclusion that if a collector's piece really really needs to be reblued then bite the bullet and spend the near fortune to have it done by a real expert. If the gun is a shooter, go for one of the new finishes. You can do it yourself or even if you have it done, it will cost less than even a mediocre blue job and the durability is outstanding. You even get to choose the color.