Morning Thunder….

Discussion in 'The VMBB True Story Tellers' started by Guest, Feb 27, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Mithrandir
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/1/02 4:53:14 pm)
    | Edit | Del All Morning Thunder….
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    One of the things I have talked about was how we use to walk through the jungle to get back to the barracks after work in Panama.

And , as you have read, it wasn’t really walking through the jungle, once we found out that the whole post was cross-crossed with access roads.

But… there was something relaxing.. serene….calming…. about walking in the “jungle” per se, after an “hard Days Night”.

One morning, I got off work very early… about 3 AM. I had done some extra duty in the Company area, so I was allowed to leave work early and be first in the morning breakfast chow line rush..

But I didn’t want to.

I decided that I WOULD walk back through the jungle…and this time… I WOULDN’T use the roads.

I was equipped with my canteen, field cap (which in those days was called a patrol cap and now a BDU cap), a couple of cigars…(I used to really enjoy those.. they kept the mosquitoes away ) and my trusty Bolo (short Machete). I also had a short blowgun I had made some weeks earlier….I always left it by the main gate when I came in so that I would have it when I left. A lot of the guys did the same thing with theirs.

Well… it turns out that it was not as easy as the roads were….(as they say now-a-days…Well Duh!!)….but I was having fun listening to the night sounds of the jungle…

The frogs…. the nasty little beasties…sounded like the ones I later encountered in VN… Chirping, chirping, chirping like a cricket…

The night-time birds twittering….

I would go maybe fifty yards and then stop…..and listen….

The Iguanas scurrying about in the bush to avoid me stepping on them…

The wings of huge bugs…. and the sound of them being eaten on the fly by the bats…who also squeaked in the darkness…. even in the day light….

And then I would go maybe fifty yards again and then stop…..and listen….

Stepping into a small clearing….. I encountered a HUGE spider web… but this one was a “garden” type spider…. The web was absolutely beautiful… shadowed within an alcove of branches, but shining from the light of the moon….

Ahh yes….the moon………..

Tonight . it was huge…. White and bright as daytime……..if daytime was gray...

The clearing was alive with its glow and moths flew in circles upward as if to try to get close to its possible warmth…

The night breezes where beginning to die down… a sure sign the morning was coming soon….

The trees stopped rustling….

The insects seemed to land and go quiet….

Even the damnable mosquitoes stopped their buzzing and hid in the fold of some trees canopy…

The night-time birds stopped their noises and you could hear the day-time birds beginning to waken.

The "day-time bird news media and alarm clocks".. as we come to call them… these birds where almost never seen, but they would go to the edge of a barracks and sing their morning song… repeat it ten times and move to a new place and start all over again.. this would go on from just a few minutes before sunrise and end when the sun was up full….

Something was happening…other than the obvious……

The moon blinked out….

It didn’t set…. It just disappeared… poof!!!… one second it was there and the next it was gone…

The jungle was changing………

Morphing…………

At night, the color of the jungle is only one color….black…black and black again….only the moon gives shades of gray to the jungle at night….

The foliage was turning from a deep, deep black….to various shades of gray…

I stood transfixed by this…. Slow and strange transformation…. The jungle was changing shapes!!!!

Trees became hob-goblins….

Eyes of unseen animals glowed and stared out from underneath every crevice of the foliage…bushes twisted into huge spiders…or cats… or snakes….

OH SHIT!!! .. a big ass cat just coughed a hundred yards away!!!!!

THAT was NOT an optical illusion!!!

I start to move across the clearing… I need distance between me and that cat.. I stumble into the jungle again… thrashing and cutting and chopping my way through it… I cut a frond and get dew down my neck….or ants…. Or whatever my mind wishes it to be….spooking me even more….

Shortly….I come to another small clearing….. and I can see the jungle has turned a green color…. A deep, deep blackish green, blood-tinged sickening green….

I can’t move… the color is enveloping me… my stomach twists, my eyes are burning and tearing with this sickening green..

I look at my hands and they are green too!… I am already in green fatigues, but even they are a new puke green tinged hue…

I am nauseated. sick. overwhelmed by it all….there is no other color here... only green...

I.

I.

Stand transfixed by it.. this vicious nasty color green that wants to eat the world and me with it….

Even as it starts to turn again to a lighter green… it is still nothing but green in my eyesight… I can see NO other colors… even the flowers I KNOW are bright red and blue are this green color….

I force myself to look toward the east (er… south-southeast in Panama)…

And it happens………….

The sun …

Pushing red tinges into the jungles green…. reshading it… remorphing it… repainting it….

And then……..

It happens..

The Sun is full up… as if it just jumped up there… it didn’t rise… it jumped into the sky…

My uniform is heating up and producing steam over my head… my eyes are blinded by it.. I fumble to find my sun-glasses…

The roar is deafening……

A roar that you only can see with your eyes and do not hear with your ears……. but feel deep within you senses.. and shakes you like a small insignificant doll.

Shaken with the power of it all…

And as a Old Brit poet once said….” An' the dawn comes up like thunder outer China 'crost the Bay!” (Rudyard Kipling)

I turn……

And step out onto the roadway…. A begin my walk to the barracks….

He was right….

Out….

Esse Quam Videri

Edited by: Mithrandir at: 11/1/02 11:12:55 pm