The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Sorry guys, you're wrong. Mortars are not NFA items. They aren't even guns. The explosive rounds are considered destructive devices. Many people load the rounds with chalk, so they make a puff of dust when they land.
If a limey Piat is considered a destructive device. Why wouldn't a mortar be in the same category? All the Piat is, is a pipe cut in half. With a humongous big spring, in the back end.

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
Sorry guys, you're wrong. Mortars are not NFA items. They aren't even guns. The explosive rounds are considered destructive devices. Many people load the rounds with chalk, so they make a puff of dust when they land.
Not doubting you, Bill - but weren't the surplused 40mm M79 Bloopers scrapped in the 1980s because they were considered "destructive devices"? After all, they were - in reality - nothing more than single shot over-sized shotguns. Not that it must make any sense to me. Being that M79s are considered "Destructive Devices" (and it IS possible to own one provided that the Federal permitt is obtained from the ATF) - so IF someone wanted to buy an operational mortar, they would also be required to jump thru the same Federal "hoops" to do it. You can own an artillery piece so long as you don't fire explosive rounds thru it. Screwy....

·
Registered
737 Posts
Pretty sure Hawg nailed this one. One of the very few mortars that had vent holes ay bottom of barrel that opened or closed to adjust range (instead of raising/ lowering the tube) Last one I saw for sale was auction some time ago, $1400.

And unless the mortar is an antique (loose powder, shot, fuse) it is an NFA Destructive Device, requires paperwork from ATF, $200 transfer tax. Each round of ammo is also a DD if it contains explosives. They are typically deactivated by cutting a large diameter hole in the tube near the base. Weld metal can be removed.

There ARE bowling ball mortars that are NOT NFA items- use a cut off oxygen tank for barrel, loose black powder, fuse and a bowling ball. Some folks think I'm crazy- but never been THAT crazy!

Destructive Device (DD) | National Firearms Act (NFA)

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
When we had to destroy steering wheel airbags, we'd take them out back, wire them up to a switch and put a roll of duct tape or a gallon bottle of washer solvent on top of it. It would launch it up further than you'd think. I always used to say, now whose got a cat...........just kidding, we save them for good old authentic egg rolls.

Reactions: tedwitt

·
14,506 Posts
When we had to destroy steering wheel airbags, we'd take them out back, wire them up to a switch and put a roll of duct tape or a gallon bottle of washer solvent on top of it. It would launch it up further than you'd think. I always used to say, now whose got a cat...........just kidding, we save them for good old authentic egg rolls.
I took an airbag in the face, it hurts.

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
back in the 70's and 80's there used to be a civil war get together at Ben Avery Shooting range. They would be all dressed up, and some would bring mortar cannons and they would shoot bowling balls. They always set up on the 1000M range (now Berger Bullet) sponsored range.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts