The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a Finnish M91 and it didn't come with cleaning kit or rod. I have cleaned it several times, but it's harder without the kit. I would love some links or opinions on what is the best or where is the best to look for some.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
The issued cleaning kit that came with your rifle was meant for temporary cleaning by a soldier in the field. You are MUCH better served with a decent commercial cleaning kit, a one piece cleaning rod and good solvent, patches and bronze bristle bore brush.

It would be nice for you to get a cleaning rod made for your rifle - but only to complete it's issue appearance. The cleaning rod that came with your rifle is generally worthless as a proper cleaning tool.

My preferred cleaning rod is a one piece stainless steel rod that has a bronze bore guide. I don't care for the sectional cleaning rods (especially the aluminum rods) because they are cheaply made and often flex inside the bore as you clean.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Try looking at Numrich Gun Parts : Gun Parts & Firearms Accessories at www.gunpartscorp.com
They should have them ... but in reality the little kits were to be used in the field by a soldier under combat conditions and are not as good as a commerical rod and brass bore brush .
Many restore service rifles and like to include the kit ...more for show than use .
You can clean the rifle with one but be careful with the jointed rod ... they will flex if not careful .
Gary

·
Premium Member
12,418 Posts
Pretty sure the 91/30 has a full length cleaning rod that slips under the barrel…..just sayin’. For use I agree with my Komrads that a one piece commercial rod with a good handle is perfect.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Those look pretty good to me!
There are also the ones with the oiler and pouch, the ammo pouches, and some with the dog collar style slings. Which I don't believe I could use with my Mosin, which has the wire sling attachment through the stock and handguard instead of the leather collar ones.

My Mosin, as you know, is in the M91 configuration, and is 51" long. Will a 26" cleaning rod work, or should I get a 29" one? From what I've seen the latter is much more expensive.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Those look pretty good to me!
There are also the ones with the oiler and pouch, the ammo pouches, and some with the dog collar style slings. Which I don't believe I could use with my Mosin, which has the wire sling attachment through the stock and handguard instead of the leather collar ones.

My Mosin, as you know, is in the M91 configuration, and is 51" long. Will a 26" cleaning rod work, or should I get a 29" one? From what I've seen the latter is much more expensive.
If your barrel length is 30 31or 32 you need a longer cleaning rod to do a good job.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I dug out my 91/30, a while ago, and removed the cleaning rod that came with it. I really don't know how you are expected to clean the bore with it since it is 3 or 4 inches shorter than the barrel!!
Yes, very true. I found some extensions online for Mosin cleaning rods that will give it more than enough length.

·
Premium Member
12,418 Posts
Reactions: Christus Rex
1 - 19 of 19 Posts