The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,868 Posts
Good shooting. I wish we had a place like that to shoot around here.

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
Grizz:

We use to belong to a range that had metal targets set out at 100. 200, 350, 500, 600, & 800 yds. We never shot at paper at that range. My son-in-law and I have a few (him many) military rifles from all era's including Mosin Nagants. Some with optics and some without. The 200 yd metals were no problem with any of them. About 400 yds was a breaking point where the scoped guns had little problems and the metal sight guns started to have serious misses. But My son-in-law had a couple of Mausers that he was able to use at 600 yds on a deer sized metal target. He of course had to walk in the shots but he could hit it. My Mosin Nagant even with clone optics was not one of the first runners but 2 to 3 hundred yds was not an impossible challenge for it, even with metal sights.

Mosin Nagants are not my favorite military gun as they are a bit too crude for me (but I have one), I like the WWII and post-WWII semi-autos much better. I like M1 Garand's, FN-FAL's, H&K's (actually new PTR91 clone). Our choices in California are very limited but I have all the ones I ever wanted.

LDBennett

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I recall reading once that Mosin Nagant rifles were used in and winning long range rifle shooting competitions well into the 1960's.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did a 500 yard shoot at a torso silhouette when I first got the rifle and was able to land %60 of the shots. It just starts to get tough to see targets that far with the naked eye. My buddy just picked up a MSG PTR91, right now it's setup with a nightvision scope for night time coyote hunting. I'm sure I'll make a few video with that bad boy too! we put a cheap leopold from walmart on the PTR when he got it and I shot a 3 shot group 2.5" at 630 yards. I'm not sure how accurate these rifles are but I still think it was a fluke. I haven't had a chance to try that again to see what the deal really is.

Interesting fact Fatstrat, I never knew that

·
Super Moderator
41,380 Posts
Grizz, good shooting and a very well put together video. I could not see the bullet trail but I can't see all that great to begin with!!

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
Grizz:

No fluke. These PTR-91's are accurate. But do heed the instruction sheet that comes with them about not using certain Surplus ammos. Seems some use a sealant on the bullet that fouls the bolt locking mechanism to the point the gun quits working. It happened to my son-in-laws when he had failed to read the warning sheet. I, on other hand, shooting next to him had no problem with our new PTR's because all my ammo was reloaded by me with no sealants. Nothing short of a thorough cleaning of the bolt assembly got his gun operational again.

LDBennett

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts