Mosin Nagant 91/30 Tula. Plz Help

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by GimmeThatGlock, Apr 29, 2009.

1. GimmeThatGlock

GimmeThatGlock New Member

I recently purchased a MN 91/30 tula Round Reciever and as i took it apart to clean it when i first got it i put it back together and the trigger is loose and i cant pull the trigger back to release the bolt but the trigger has no effect it just hangs there...loose plz help?

2. Enfield

Enfield New Member

3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

GimmeThatGlock:

You got it together wrong, obviously.

The sear that holds the firing pin, in the bolt, rearward is a part that does two things: it is the sear surface acting directly on the firing pin in the bolt to hold it reward and it is its own flat spring. The trigger wedges the flat spring part down which pulls the sear part of it down, releasing the firing pin to travel forward. The flat spring/ sear has to feed THROUGH the square hole in the trigger so that the trigger can lever the sear flat spring down when the trigger is moved rearward.

You feed the spring through the square hole in the trigger and install that sub-assembly to the receiver using the pin on the trigger and the screw on the front end of the flat spring/sear. It is super simple.

As an aside, yesterday I did a little trigger work on a Mosin Nagant and the pull went from a gritty 7 1/2 pounds to a smooth 4 1/2 pounds. All it took was smoothing the trigger sear flat spring and trigger lever point engagement surfaces with stones and Crocus cloth and a few hammer blows to the flat spring to deform it to be slightly flatter. The creep is still there but it is silky smooth and the let off truly surprises you. This was an easy trigger job for measurable performance increase without highly modifying parts.

LDBennett

4. GimmeThatGlock

Thanks for the info Guys. But now that i know that how can i get the bolt off if the trigger wont catch?

5. LDBennett

Pull the stock off and remove the screw holding the sear/flat sear spring to the receiver and the bolt will slide right out the back as it is the sear that keeps the bolt from being able to be removed.

But in fact you don't even have to remove the bolt. Just turn the bolt handle and move it to the rear. Remove the sear spring screw and the trigger pin. Feed the sear spring through the trigger and reinstall the trigger pin and sear spring screw. The gun is fixed. You can now remove the bolt if you wish but you don't have to.

LDBennett

6. TCoggins

TCoggins Active Member

I hope I don't muddy the waters here, but it may be as simple as the pin that the trigger pivots on has come out. That pin on my M44 is very loose, and I need to make a concious effort to ensure that it is in place when I re-assemble the barrel and action back into the stock.

Good luck.

Thanks.

Tim

7. GimmeThatGlock

Right on Tim! Thank you everyone for your usefull tips and posts. Tim was exactly right i misplaced the pin but i made a new one from cuttin the end of a drillbit that fits almost exactly the right fit its a little loose but it worked. Thanks again.

Ps. The Drillbit idea was ok right, i mean it fit perfectly but idk if theres a saftey issue or what not but its strong its titanium plated steel.

8. TCoggins

TCoggins Active Member

Pin made from a drill bit should be fine. Hope you have as much fun with your Mosin as I have with mine. My 10 year old son is amazed when he sees a fireball out the end of the barrel when I shoot it.

Thanks.

Tim

9. GimmeThatGlock

Well i havent fired it yet i got it for my 17th birthday a week ago but i plan on "floating the barrel" im not 100% sure on how to do that or what its completely for but i heard it was to increase acuraccy but yea as soon as i recover from my torn acl i should be putting some lead down range! cnat wait.

10. LDBennett

GimmeThatGlock:

This is a military fighting weapon and as such has compromises to that end. One is that it has a "Full Stock" that wraps around the barrel so that a soldier can handle the gun, when the barrel is hot during a conflict, without a fear of burning his hands. Such barrels are impossible to free float. Free float means the stock, from the receiver forward, does not touch the barrel anywhere. That is impossible with a stock like the Mosin-Nagants full stock.

The Mosin-Nagant is a fighting gun. Take it out to shoot and practice getting better through shooting technique, not through gun modifications that were intended for hunting and target guns. When your shooting technique is mastered and your use of the rather crude Mosin-Nagant sights gets good enough, these rifles are actually pretty accurate. Adding a modern scope, with a special mount that does not modify the gun in non-reversible way, will result in accuracy equivalent or perhaps better than some hunting rifles.

LDBennett

11. 2ndAmendmentPlz

2ndAmendmentPlz New Member

Just cleaned my rifle for the first time and had my trigger pin fall out as well.

Good news is I still have the pin. Bad news, I reinstalled the bolt before I realized what had happened.

How do I remove the bolt since I can't depress the trigger to release the sear?

Thanks in advance!

12. Fast Forward

Fast Forward Member

Nagants are fun I corked my stock,and added a up grade trigger spring,,,check you firing pin depth,,disasemble the bolt and clean all the cosmo out of it ,,check your firing pin depth and have the bolt spacing checked also most Nagants tend to shoot high,and could use a longer front sight ,,, have fun

13. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

LD, not impossible to float, just a little extra effort. I wrote this up a while back, give it a try, the results will surprise you.;)

Anytime I have a new to me Mosin, (which is frequently, it's a sickness) :eek: after cleaning, it gets evaluated for accuracy. I remove the bands, handguard, and cleaning rod. Loosen the action screws, tighten down the front one, then the back one, then it goes to the range without the parts I removed.
    Test ammo is lightball, Russian, Polish or Hungarian. Two targets at 50yrds, sandbag rest, 5 shots slow fire at one target, reload and rapid fire at the other.
    If I'm not getting at least a 4" group on the first one, I know I already have problems. If I get a 4" or less group, and I'm spraying rounds all over the second target, it's usually a barrel bedding problem.
    91/30's have long barrels, lots of harmonics in play there. Free floating can make things better or worse, but it's where you start.
    Use a dowel or a deep well socket about the same diameter as the barrel, wrap a piece of 80 grit sandpaper around it. Work the full length of the barrel channel, blow the dust out, and bolt the action back in tight, front screw first. Don't worry about the handguard and bands, we'll get to that later.
    Take a dollar bill, half wrap around the barrel holding the two ends of the bill straight up and tight. Slide it down the barrel all the way to the action, if it hangs up, mark that spot on the stock with a soft lead pencil, and hit that spot again with the sandpaper, repeat until the bill freely slides all the way down. Your barrel is now free floated.
    The barrel channel in the stock is now bare wood, open to moisture and you don't want to have to do this again, so it needs to be sealed. I wipe a coat of TruOil on the bare wood, let it set for 5 mins, and wipe off all excess.

Now you have to float the barrel from the handguard. Talk the neighbor kid out of some of his Play-Doh. Roll up long thin strings, lay them the length of the handguard down the top of the barrel. Carefully set the handguard in position and hold down firmly where the bands sit. lift it up without disturbing the Play-Doh strings.
    Where it's smashed the thinnest, is where you need to use the sandpaper again. Clean all the strings out and repeat until they barely smash. Clean it up again, use the TruOil in the handguard channel, and put it back together. You're ready for a trip back to the range.
    Groups should tighten up, if they don't and the shots start to string out, you need a barrel pressure point to dampen harmonics. Do this with two pieces of felt about 3 times the thickness of that dollar bill. Just thick enough to apply pressure on the barrel when the handguard is banded on. One piece in the stock channel, and one above it in the handguard channel. The ends should be about 1/16 to 1/8" below the top edge of the channel, and placed about 3" back from the front end of the handguard. I've used electrical tape for the same effect when I couldn't find my piece of felt.
    Sounds like a lot of work, but the results are worth it, and it usually takes less time to do, than it took me to type this.

14. Harryintheboro

Harryintheboro New Member

I really like the "ol Mosey". My son bought one at a gun show awhile back. When he showed ot to me I thought "What a piece of crap", but once he cleaned it up and got all that 50 + years of cosmoline out it looked like it just left the factory. Keep in mind these rifles were used to arm farmers an pesants that had for the most part had never sen one before. It's simple, rugged but if not put together right can be a pain in the butt. Best advise I can give you is view the vidoes that are on you-tube thay have a wealth infor mation including how to use the stripper clip.