Mosin Nagant need serious tlc. And I need advice

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Jbrady314, Jun 13, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Jbrady314

Jbrady314 Member

Hello all,
    Once again I come to my fellow gun enthusiasts for some advice. A buddy of mine just gave me a Mosin that needs a serious bit of cleaning and care. He found it in an old building that was about to get demolished. It is missing the bolt and is covered with rust. My concern is the bore, I shined a light down the bore and you can barely see the rifling through all of the corrosion. As much as I would like to get this thing back into firing condition, the bore corrosion concerns me. What are some of the finer aspects of cleaning up corrosion of this degree to the point where this is an operable rifle once again? I was thinking of submerging it in an electrolysis tank for a day to see how that fared but I am unsure.
    It has the Soviet crest on the receiver with the year 1933 under the crest. There is also a Triangle with an arrow in the middle. There are other markings all over the receiver but I will not be able to see what they are until I dig into this rust.
    Thank you for any advice you can give me. I seem to have a habit of finding rifles that need tlc which doesn't bother me except that this one is the worst one yet.

ysacres, jim brady and shootbrownelk like this.
  2. grcsat

grcsat Well-Known Member

A plain old bronze cleaning brush will do the trick . ( don't forget the bore solvent :) )
    If the bore is any good, then the next question is ,is it worth while fixing and getting it into a safe shooting condition.
    Only you can answer that question because we are all different and we will all place a different value on a Soviet rifle. I personally would brake it down into parts and sell those parts at a later date or even use those parts should you come across anther rifle in better condition that could use those scavanged parts.
    No matter what you do, good luck.

jwdurf, ysacres and jim brady like this.

3. johnsxj

johnsxj Well-Known Member

I think giving the bore a bit of a scrubbing with a bore brush you don't care about to knock out the major crud first might be a good idea. If the bore still looks like a 100 year old sewer pipe after, you'll know it's probably not worth chasing.

Kvasir, ysacres and shootbrownelk like this.
  4. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 Well-Known Member

A bit of copper pot scrubber on the cleaning rod slotted tip will get the heavy crud out. Then plug the muzzle end of the bore, fill with a good bore cleaner, let stand muzzledown a few hours. Then swab her out again. Once the swabs are coming out fairly clean, use a light and check the bore. Some light pitting won't affect accuracy.

5. armoredman

armoredman Well-Known Member

Izhevsk Arsenal stamp. 1933 pre-war, good rifle. I had more than one pre-war Mosin with a bore that looked like a sewer pipe and shot straight as the arrow on the chamber.

6. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

A lot depends on just how badly the rifling is damaged. The cleaning methods above are all great, but I think I can add a little more. Once you get past the gunk and goo in the barrel, you may wish to try copious amounts of JB Bore Paste and plenty of patches. It will take a few days or even weeks to get past the corrosion.

Assuming that you don't have damaged rifling and only medium pitting, a final step would be 'bore lapping bullets' to finish (as best as you can) cleaning up that bore. These are fairly simple to use if you are a reloader. Midway used to sell them, and all you do is load them to mild or medium velocities. As I recall, you fire one, clean the bore with a brush and solvent, then dry the bore and fire more of those bullets using the same 'fire and clean' process.

I bought an old 1916 SMLE .303 with a horrible bore. As stated above - the bore looked like an old sewer pipe. I cleaned the bore with those fire lapping bullets, and while there is still some 'frost' in the bore, it looks, shoots and cleans much better now. I finished the process with Sweets copper bore solvent and more JB Bore Paste.

You will never find and original numbers matching bolt, but you can find a 'correct' bolt and put the rifle back into serviceable order. These rifles aren't really high dollar collector guns, but you can have a shootable rifle that you can be proud of. Doing it is half the fun.

pdkfishing, BlackEagle and ysacres like this.
  7. deingy

deingy Well-Known Member

The previous reply's are all good. I've even used automotive polishing compound with a drill driven bore brush. The fire balls from a Nagant are a hoot.
    This one was a WW2 bring back that had been duffel cut.
    http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinDisassembly.htm
    MN7.62 Ray's.JPG

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
  8. Jbrady314

Jbrady314 Member

Thank you all for your responses. I will try a bit of everything. Here are some photos for reference sake. IMG_0875.JPG IMG_0875.JPG IMG_0877.JPG IMG_0878.JPG IMG_0879.JPG IMG_0880.JPG IMG_0882.JPG IMG_0885.JPG IMG_0886.JPG IMG_0887.JPG IMG_0888.JPG

jim brady and BlackEagle like this.
  9. mogunner

mogunner Well-Known Member

Don't use electrolysis on the bore. It will pull everything out of the pits and could possibly ruin it as a shooter. I did a Chinese Type 53 and it put every round through the target sideways at 25 yards. If I had just shot it and cleaned it hot it probably would have at least been a decent shooter instead I ended up with a textbook example of a sewer-pipe bore. I have a spare magazine assembly and some interrupter springs if you need.

10. deingy

deingy Well-Known Member

Smooth the chamber good before you shoot it or you will find it difficult to reopen the bolt.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    Kvasir likes this.
  11. TRAP55

TRAP55 Well-Known Member

The barrel marked 1933, is either one of the last of the Hex receiver rifles made, or that's the barrel date when it was rebuilt from a Model 91 to a 91/30. Look on the bottom rear of the tang for the actual manufacture date and arsenal.
    Another way to do a rusty gun:

Edit to add: A Mosin bolt from any year, make, or model of Mosin, has a 99.9% chance of head spacing. Tested 12 different rifles each, with 12 different bolts, and all were in spec.

BlackEagle likes this.
  12. Jbrady314

Jbrady314 Member

Upon disassembling the rifle, all of parts which were concealed by the stock looked to be in great condition. Gives me some hope. Just trying to soak some kroil on these really rusty areas to get the pins and screws out. there are numerous other markings under the stock. I will try to get some photos uploaded later tonight after work.

Kweeksdraw and BlackEagle like this.
  13. Jbrady314

Jbrady314 Member

You are correct. 1933 actual manufacture date. There are a couple other marks on the parts such as: a star stamped on the trigger, a "pitchfork" like stamp on the barrel closest to the receiver under the stock, and others which I am unsure of how to describe.

14. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 Well-Known Member

The year stamp under the receiver tsng is the original date of manufacture. The year stamped on the barrel ring is likely later, from the refurb.

15. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

With clear closeup pictures, you would not have to worry about describing them.

BlackEagle likes this.