The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me again, new guy :D
I did a search in this forum and found this rifle to be manufactured between 1950-57, is there a way to narrow it down ?
Also, I see pic's with the fold down to be wood, does the difference between wood and plastic help with the date of manufacture ?

thanks again guys

·
Premium Member
9,578 Posts
This 152 was the first of two sense this has the receiver aperture and the post front sights that puts it in the 1948-1952.
Worth is
60%-$65
70%-$85
80%-$100
90%-$125
95%-$135
98%-$175
100%-$225
Mike

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This 152 was the first of two sense this has the receiver aperture and the post front sights that puts it in the 1948-1952.
Worth is
60%-$65
70%-$85
80%-$100
90%-$125
95%-$135
98%-$175
100%-$225
Mike
Thanks Mike,
guess that other thread was a little off on the dating of the 152's, forgive my lack of knowledge, could you explain the "receiver aperture & post front sights to a novice"

thanks again

Seb

·
Premium Member
9,578 Posts
Pep sight on the back and post front sight is the type of front sight.
They all had a plastic fold down forend.At lest I have never saw one that was wood.
Mike

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
846 Posts
To the best of my knowledge the earlier ones had a wooden fold down and the later ones the black Bakelite. The idea of using the aperture front sight and the peep rear is to put the front aperture post centered up in the rear peep and aligned with your sweet spot on the target. I have the later model and find it to be the fastest operating,smoothest semi that I own. It is very accurate. I also have the bolt action version which is designated the model 142.:D:D:D

·
Registered
397 Posts
I understand that the values stated are a genuine 'average' for the gun mentioned. They seem to be very close to actual prices being sold and purchased. Last March I attended an auction here in northern Iowa and they had a mod. 152 & also a mod. 142.....both were scoped with modern 3x9 Bushnell's and both guns were a bit better condition than the one shown. Both guns pushed the $300 range. I was a bit surprised...but that is auction's for ya.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Mossberg's were initially utility firearms and used as such. There are probably more variations,models in .22 than any other manufacturer. They have for years been overlooked and under valued but not any more. They are very accurate and well made firearms and have increased in collect ability and price. Go to any gun site or show and unless its from a private sale,you will pay higher prices than what has been mentioned. I've got several target variates and have and would put them up against any Winchester,Remington,Anshutz for accuracy and dependability. Can you tell I love Mossberg .22's?:D;):D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ibelieve you are correct in your assesment of the accuracy of these old .22s. Mine came with the original packet and contains the manual and paperwork,,a little gummy but a good cleaning and lookout!!

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
That's interesting SebJr.

I took a look at that picture of the scope...thought that looks familiar....looked again, it is.

That's my scope, I took the picture and uploaded it, posted it on RFC.

Here's the box end too.

As far as the fold down forearm, there were more 152's made with the wood. The plastic started the last couple of years and carried on through the 142 152 342 and 352's.

1950 Mossberg ad showing the 142 and 152

The rear aperture sight on your 152 is a Mossberg S130, that was not the standard rear sight for the 152. The S108 is what it left the factory wearing. The S130 was sold as an improved sight for your rifle. The S130 was also used on many other Mossbergs. The front sight is an original S109.

Here's my 152 showing the original S108. It's more rare and actually sells for more than the far better S130.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Forgot to add above...

The 152 was made 1948-1957.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts