The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I acquired this gun today (for almost nothing) because I thought it looked like an old pirate gun or something (I knew it wasn't, but it was nifty) However once I took it apart and started examining it I noticed LOTS of things.
the plastic trigger guard reads Registered in Canada 1938 then lists a US pat#, and does not fit flush into the stock
the third (hidden screw hole where the clip guard attaches is broken)
the clip guard is bent where the screw has been over tightened
does not have all original screws
the stock has been cut
the barrel appears to have been cut
the under side of the stock is cracked

I cannot find any info on Model 185D 2-3/4 inch
they are all 185k, 185d-a or d-c and so on this just says 185D

my questions are these....
1) is it illegal in its current condition?
2) does it still hold ANY value?
3) year and info?
4) what would have been the value if it had not been modified?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,581 Posts
Someone butchered that up pretty good.
Yes the stock and barrel has been cut down.
I don't know the laws in other states but in NY that would be illegal the barrel has to be no shorter then 18".I believe it is illegal under federal law and can cost you time in jail.
The gun was made between 1947-59 and if it was not cut up it would only be worth $50-$100.
There was a 185a-185b-185c-185d-185k.With various screw-on or c-lect chokes.The 185 is 20 ga there was 190 and it was a 16 ga and the 195 was 12 ga.
Mike

·
Registered
238 Posts
Yes, it is illegal under the National Firearms Act.

If found with this gun the cost could rise from nut much up to $10,000.00 ( fine) and a sabbatical (jail) of up to 10 years.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WOW!!! thank you very much for info! I will gladly give back to the person I got it from and tell them that I am not interested in it. I have NO desire to be in possession of an illegal firearm!!! Actually kind of makes me mad that "they" would even put me in that situation. Thank you again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts