Mossberg 472 30-30 What's the twist of the barrel?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by saddletramp46, Apr 13, 2009.

1. saddletramp46

saddletramp46 New Member

I have been to at least a dozen sites but none will show the twist of that barrel. Supposedly if the twist is less than 1 in 10 it will not properly stabilize the new Hornady polymer tipped rounds. I like the ballistics, of them. they are faster and flatter than the blunt nosed rounds. Supposedly. In the correct barrel.

Does anyone know what the twist is for that piece?

2. 9 fingers

9 fingers New Member

HI, can't help you with the twist but will call or write to Mossberg to find out. I just picked up a 472 last week, cheap but a fair amount of corrosion. How do you like it? How accurate is it? I have not had a chance to work on mine but the mechanism seems to hang up at the point from full open of the lever to just as you start to close it. Is that normal or after I dissasemble and clean/lube will it be better?
    Thanks

3. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

most mossbergs were 1 in 10 not less than the ammo should work just fine i have a monkey wards made by mossberg same model and never had any issues with any make of ammo including hornady