The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Debating between these two shotguns. The only reason for the :tactical: is my Wife needs a collapsible stock in order to shoot it. Which would you recommend? Mossberg is 450.00 and the Remington is 489.00

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
I'm partial to the mossy myself. That's what I have shot since I was old enough to hold a shotgun. I've used my friends' 870's a lot but they just never were quite right for me.

·
Super Moderator
28,128 Posts
I've always been partial to Remy firearms but do own a couple Mossys. There are so many accessories available for either, I'd probably save the $40 and go with the Mossy.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Remington all day long especially if you go with a pistol grip stock; manipulating the tang safety on the mossy is next to impossible without a standard buttstock, the 870 has a cross bolt which is perfect.

remington has a distinct advantage of quality also, love mossberg but just not quite the same.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Remington all day long especially if you go with a pistol grip stock; manipulating the tang safety on the mossy is next to impossible without a standard buttstock, the 870 has a cross bolt which is perfect.

remington has a distinct advantage of quality also, love mossberg but just not quite the same.
I'll agree that operating the tang safety on a Mossberg is a stinker if you've got a pistol grip stock on it. On a conventional stock, that's not a problem.
380guy, take a look at the pistol grip stock on the 870 that ka64 posted. Look how much thumb twisting yo need to do to reach the safety up on top of the receiver where it's located on the Mossberg.

Personally, I prefer the 870 over the 500 for other reasons too but I do own both brands.

If your wife will be shooting it too, be sure take her along on your shopping trip and have her give it a test fit too. She might have a completely different preference than anyone that posts their opinion in here. :)

G

·
I am a remington guy but I think the pump shotgun world is about 45% Remington 45% Mossberg and 10% everything else.

I would go remington myself because I like remingtons. I have a win Model 12 right now.

·
Registered
17,299 Posts
I have owned Mossberg pumps in the past.

I own Remington pumps, currently.

I think that says it all.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My Mossberg started out 5+1 with a bird hunting barrel. Now, 35 years later with a 7 round mag tube and 20 inch barrel, I use it for 3-gun. Never a problem.

·
Premium Member
19,878 Posts
I like the safety placement on the mossberg much better. I have both and like them both.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I own a Remington 870 wingmaster and a Mossberg 500 A with a collapsible stock. I shoot both and like both and the safety placement has never been a problem on either one. The Mossberg is better suited to home defense because it has an 18.5" barrel vs the wingmaster's 26" barrel. That is really the only difference I've found in the two.

I've never had any problem with either one. I've owned the wingmaster for over thirty years and no telling how many thousands of rounds I've fired and it has never mal-functioned - not even once in all that time. The Mossberg is only about 10 years old and I haven't shot it nearly as much, but I've never had a problem and don't expect any in the future.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I like my Moss-500; compact and lighter than others I've tried.
I went and got a Blackhawk stock kit for it, I think the pistol grip makes it more controlable with small hands.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
I prefer the 870 over the Mossberg simply because I prefer the steel receiver over the alloy one. Either shotgun will serve you well. And the Mossberg is more ambi accommodating because of the placement of the safety

·
Premium Member
13,258 Posts
Between my 870 police gun and her 500 slug gun we have those bases covered. Also have a Norinco '97 Trench Gun clone (yes, with bayonet) as backup.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts