The Firearms Forum banner

Mossberg 715T vs Ruger 10/22 Tapco stock for an AR practice plinker

Tags
ruger
3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  pbrady 
#1 ·
Hey gang,

I have always been a pistol guy, but recently picked up an AR15 just in case the pending revolution becomes a reality. : ) Due to the cost-prohibitive nature of practicing with my AR (which I still have yet to do, on a side note), I'm considering picking up a .22 rifle to use as a practice rifle to get comfortable with it. I figure I have a few options, and I'd love your feedback on what you think might be best.

1) Get a .22 conversion upper for my AR lower. The Chiappa is cheapest, but has gotten notoriously bad reviews. It would be great to practice with my actual lower with the Chiappa on top, but there's no point in buying garbage if that's what it is. I know there's a more expensive option, around $400 (CMMP or something like that), but that doesn't seem all that practical. Might as well buy a whole other dedicated .22 rifle.
2) Mossberg 715T. Yes, it looks like an AR, and wins on coolness points for that reason, but I have likewise read several terrible reviews on it, as it is basically just a 705 plinkster in a plastic shell. But it would be good to practice with an actual AR. Here it is, if you aren't familiar with it: http://www.mossberg.com/category/series/715t-autoloading-rimfire-rifles/
3) A Ruger 10/22 with a Tapco Intrafuse Stock: http://www.slickguns.com/product/ru...-sa-22lr-166-101-blk-6pos-syn-stk-blued-23900
I'm leaning most towards this one, because I know the 10/22 is legendary and reliable, and I would still get the AR feel with the telescoping stock like mine has and the pistol grip, plus you can add cool toys to it down the road. Also, you can get a white Tapco stock and it looks kind of like a Stormtrooper gun, and I'm a total Star Wars geek, so, bonus.
4) A better .22 AR like a Colt. Sure, but I don't want to spend a ton of money on it. Just want something fun and practical.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

See less See more
#7 ·
Good to know. Thanks for the link. I didn't know that was an option. Once I saw you point that out earlier, though, I did a little research. Seems like it would be a great option, getting to practice with my actual rifle. I don't want to get too far off topic, but in other threads people have talked negatively about this option, saying that it gunks up the internals of the gun because the .22 doesn't utilize the gas system for cycling. All the gobbledy **** (I think that's the technical term) from the bullets just sits inside the body of the AR. Any thoughts on that?

#8 ·
I bought the CMMG conversion kit 4 or 5 year ago. I thought that same thing about accuracy through the .223 barrel because I had heard it from so many people, so I sold the conversion kit and bought a Chiappa dedicated upper. The Chiappa has never given me a minute's problem. I have to tell you though, from personal experience, that the crap about the dedicated upper being more accurate than a conversion kit is just that - crap.

I agree with Sam on getting the conversion kit. It works as well as the dedicated upper and is about half the price. If you look around for the kit, you will find it cheaper than Brownell's.

EDIT|: I have to make an additional comment about that Mossberg AR look alike! I have never owned one but I examined one at my LGS a couple of years ago. It is nothing like an AR in operation, I would not waste a nickel on one of them!!

#12 ·
The Mossberg 715 t is crap. Stay away from it. Stingers worked best in mine until it broke. Glad it is gone. Morons did not tell me how finicky it is about what ammo you use. It is hard to take apart for cleaning as well. I got the last 2 boxes of stingers at a lgs. Then here came the ammo shortage. Sold the piece of crap for a loss. Good riddance.

#13 ·
I've heard a lot of good things about the S&W M/P 15-22, I actually plan to buy one for the same reasons you describe... Just haven't gotten around to it yet. Check them out.

#14 ·
My son has a colt ar 15 in.22 and it is a blast to shoot. I on the other hand have a 715 and except for the trouble of taking it apart for cleaning which I do once every couple thousand rounds whether it needs it or not j/k It works very well feeding whatever ammo I can find. It's not an AR by any stretch of the imagination but its fun to shoot and preforms well maybe I just got an excepational one

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.