Mossberg 835 "Slugster Smooth Bore"

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Buford Allen, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Buford Allen

Buford Allen New Member

I recently bought a Mossberg 835 12ga. with a 24 inch "Slugster Smooth Bore" barrel. This barrel is obviously overbored like all 835 barrels. I have read that you can't shoot slugs in a regular 835 smooth bore. What is the difference in the smooth slugster barrel and a regular smooth bore barrel?

2. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

There are two types of slugs for shotguns, and types of barrels as well. The smooth bore barrels shoot the rifled slugs, and the barrels designed to shoot slugs are riffled, and you shot sabot type slugs in these. A 24" barrel, with an open bore, improved cylinder, is a good choice for shooting the riffled slugs, and should hold a decent group at 100yds. If you have a barrel with the rib along the top, then you can easily add clamp on adjustable open sights. The riffled slug barrels will already have adjustable open sights on them, and will be set up to take a scope, as well.

3. Buford Allen

Buford Allen New Member

This barrel has rifle sights so it's obviously for shooting slugs. I was mainly curious about the overbore. I have a Wingmaster 870 with a 18.5 cylinder bore with rifle sights but the muzzle on the Mossberg is bigger than the one on the Remington. I know rifled slugs are made to expand and fit the bore, but can they expand that much? I have shot 2 slugs through it at 25 yds and it hit at POA with no problems. This is my first 835 and was needing any info on it because I can't find anyhing about this barrel on the web.