The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a mossberg 88 security 18.5 barrel 6 shot. I'm just really confused on most of the things I find on line regarding whether or not I'm able to shoot slugs or not out of this shotgun. I don't think there's a choke installed and its a non rifled barrel. To my best observation it looks to be a smooth bore. Any help? Thanks guys... :confused:

·
Premium Member
10,186 Posts
Welcome to TFF.

Yes you can shoot slugs from it but not sabot slugs.As long as it is not a full choke barrel.
But with a 18.5" barrel they will not fly far.
This is a gun made for self defense to be used for close combat.
What are you planning to use it for?.

Mike

·
Premium Member
34,364 Posts
Welcome to the forum richie23hrndz! Sabots are designed to be shot in rifled barrels. If you are wondering if that old shotgun is full choke or not, grab a dime, and drop it down the barrel. If it goes in then you are not full choke!

·
Premium Member
10,186 Posts
Regular slugs are designed with "wings" like a screw so they twist when they are going up and out flying to give them rotation.
But sabots are encased in a plastic shell that seats into the rifeling of the barrel to get it's twist.
shooting sabots out of a smoth bore barrel can cause problems with the barrel(splitting and blowing up) and when they leave the barrel they will just drop(they will have no rotation to make a smooth flight)And VERY little distance.
Sabots are smaller bullit in a fater case so the plastic is forced into the rifeling.But are to fat for a smoth bore.
Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the help guys! And I'm bought it for HD and just to go out to the range every now and then to have some fun...just got the talon adjustable stock for it and I'm really happy with this shotgun..only shot target shot and some #4 buck shot out of it so far...

·
Registered
19,294 Posts
Regular slugs are designed with "wings" like a screw so they twist when they are going up and out flying to give them rotation.
But sabots are encased in a plastic shell that seats into the rifeling of the barrel to get it's twist.
shooting sabots out of a smoth bore barrel can cause problems with the barrel(splitting and blowing up) and when they leave the barrel they will just drop(they will have no rotation to make a smooth flight)And VERY little distance.
Sabots are smaller bullit in a fater case so the plastic is forced into the rifeling.But are to fat for a smoth bore.
Mike
ok.. so sabot are no good for a smooth bore as the plastic carrier is over dimensional. got it.

only the slugs with the ridges are safe for smooth bore

i'm not a slug shooter as you can tell..

·
Premium Member
10,186 Posts
ok.. so sabot are no good for a smooth bore as the plastic carrier is over dimensional. got it.

only the slugs with the ridges are safe for smooth bore

i'm not a slug shooter as you can tell..
This is how it was explained to me when my brother used a sabot in a smooth bore and bulged the barrel.
I got him a Hasting slug barrel (it has rifeling in it)now he can shoot out to 150 yards with no problems.
So we all have to learn some of us learn by asking and some learn by spending money:eek:
Mike:)

·
Registered
300 Posts
That SG should be cylinder bore(no choke) and is good for slugs like the Brenneke or Foster type. You could shoot saboted slugs out of it but why would you? As already pointed out they're made for rifles barrels. Don't expect much in the way of accuracy. At 5 feet it won't matter though.

·
Premium Member
10,186 Posts
goofy what about a regular slug out of a rifled barrel?
You can shoot non rifled slugs from a rifled barrel but it will lead up fast and they will not be very accurate and with out cleaning out the lead sabots wont shoot accurate ether.
You don't want to shoot rifled slugs from a rifled barrel because they will not be accurate at all.
But I do not believe that they will do any damage to the gun this is just a accursey(I know it is spelled wrong but spell check won't help me with this one) problem.
The main thing is if you have a rifled barrel then a sabot will give you a shot out to 150 yards but with a smooth bore you are limited to under 100 yards(well under).
Mike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.