The Firearms Forum banner

Mossberg Lever Action - Stuck Lever!

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  polishshooter 
#1 ·
Good evening, Gentleman.

I'm new to the forum and looking forward to joining the conversation! Apologies if this is an issue that's been covered in the past.

I'm having an issues with an old Mossberg 679 Lever Action 30-30. The lever has a tendency to get stuck in the downward position
after ejecting the cartridge . Please note the attached picture. I've taken it apart and everything seems to be in order. Any thoughts or suggestions?

See less See more
#2 ·
I had my 336 do the same thing in a tree stand on opening day and I had to detail strip it in the dark! Check first to see that all the screws on the side of the action through the receiver are TIGHT. I mean really tight. Mine was just loose enough, enough that i didn't recognize it at first as the problem, to let whatever you call the spring loaded arm that keeps the next round from feeding from the mag tube to lock up the action. Check that first.

#3 ·
Your photo didn't load in my decrepid machine, but looking at a schematic from the Numrich Gun Parts Catalog, your rifle is very similar to a Marlin 336 series. Polishshooter gave you some very good advise.

If it isn't a loose screw binding up the 'lifter assembly', you may have a bent or broken part there. Numrich listed your parts in an older catalog - and they might be a good place to go if you need replacement parts. If it IS a loose screw, I like to use Locltite thread sealer to make sure pesky screws to come un-glued in the furure.

#4 ·
Yeah Jim Brady. I didn't loctite mine but since that day I take my precision screwdriver set with me and the last thing I do before I get out of the truck on opening day is check all my action screws on my .35 336! Indiana finally allowed rifles a few years ago and the .35 Rem is legal if you shorten the case 1/8 " so I bought mine and retired my 100+year old '97 Winchester slug gun and put about 100 rds through it without a bobble on the range working up my load and getting used to the scope. First opening day with it I loaded 5 in the tube chamber empty and walked in the dark, got set up in my stand, and legal shoot time comes and I work the action to chamber a round and it locked up with the lever fully open just like that! I stripped it with a flashlight in my mouth in the treestand, with a Gerber tool. Put it back together and it seemed to work, and shot a nice doe at around 9:00 with one shot and it locked up AGAIN when I tried to lever the next round in case I needed it! I didn't figure it out until I got home. But I also figured out if you carry a thin stiff metal shim with you you can use it to force the next round back into the mag tube and it will free it up also. But it is that lifter screw. It has to be TIGHT. Just about as tight as you can get it without stripping it...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.