Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

mossberg maverick

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by ksummer70, Apr 15, 2009.

1. ksummer70

ksummer70 New Member

i bought a mossberg maverick 88 with a 28"barrel with accu-choke wondering what its worth,was wanting a short shotgun,but got a good deal.

2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Blue books shows this info:

100% - $195
    98% - $160
    95% - $140
    90% - $125
    80% - $115
    70% - $105
    60% - $100 Hope this helps

3. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

something i like to keep pointing out. book value. if the "book" states a gun is worth for example 200.00 in 100% condition and you go to trade it in expect alot less. most gun shops use the 30% rule. if you bring in a gun for trade using the 200 book value example subtract 30%. you'll be offered 140.00 the dealers use the same books we do. they have to offer less than book value in order to be able to sell for the book value or less . have had to break the sad news to many a customer when they brought in their trade. i used to hear but the books states it's worth more. sure it is but those are normally retail or private party values. now if you run into a dealer that subtracts more than 30% he just a plain old greedy bastard. and some dealers have a differing point of view as what is 98% vs. 95% vs. 80% i knew of one dealer that wouldn't consider anything above 95% because in his mind the gun was used and therefore couldn't be considered 98% or better even though it was flawless. but yet he sold it for the 100 % book value. in other words always try to sell outright before using the trade in option. even if you sell it for 10% less of listed value you're ahead of the game the buyer gets a bargin and you made a quick sale and saved 20%

4. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

From what I've been told, all Mossberg barrels are interchangable. I've got a Maverick in 18" barrel, and want a 24" slug barrel for mine.

5. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

not true some mossbergs as well as some mavericks are different . some have a extended tubes holding 8 shells other holding only 5 or 6 ? cant recall. but a barrel from a gun that holds 8 rounds wont fit one with the shorter tube and vicea-versa

6. carver

That makes sence to me! I was asking about the 24" slug barrel with the rifle sights. Don't know much about the Maverick line of guns, but mine holds 6 rds. The dealer where I bought it knew what I wanted, so his statement may have been exclusive to the gun I purchased. A really inexpensive gun, that so far shoots really well. The only problem I have had so for is that though the gun is chambered for the 3" shells, and cycles the live rounds well, once fired they will not eject because they are now longer that the length of the port opening! No problem though, the gun just kicks too hard with 3" shells, so I'll be shooting 2 3/4" only!

7. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

if you have the one that holds 6 shells you're better off. you now have alot more barrel options to choose from

8. carver

That's probably why he told me that they should all fit.