The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have one with the walnut stock. When I got my hands on it, I was gobsmacked that it was such a nice rifle at the price point. One word of caution, prior to hunting, I had it all sighted in with a sweet load that it really liked. I never got any game in my sights that year, but when I got back home and cleaned it, I decided to do my normal routine and put a thin film of grease on the unexposed metal so avoid any rust forming where I wouldn't see it. I took it apart, greased everything, and put it back together. Like a dumbass, it never occurred to me that the action screws were torqued to a specific in/lb specification. To make a long story short, the accuracy I had before wasn't there anymore. I have to borrow a torque wrench from my buddy and find out from Mossberg what the proper torque is for the screws.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Depending on where and what you're hunting and your normal expected range of engagement, I'm a big fan of .308. Ammo for .270 and .308 is fairly easy to find and there's a good range of bullet weights and types available. For me and my hunting I have no need for anything more than my .308. I reload so I can load down to 110 gr. and up to 200 depending on what I'm hunting. I nailed a nice 8pt buck with my 150 gr. Hornady Interlock. He went 20-30 yds. and nosed over done like dinner.

·
Premium Member
9,898 Posts
What should I get caliber wise. My dad has .308. I am thinking .308 or .270. What about 7mm or 300 am (probably not 300 but which one?)
I am quite happy with the .308. Ammo is readily available in different weights and the recoil, for me, is more manageable than the .270 or .300WM that I have owned.

Reactions: jddecamp08
1 - 7 of 7 Posts