Most dangerous job.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Marlin T, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Marlin T

Marlin T Well-Known Member

AUGUSTA, Ga.---An 18-year-old was shot after investigators say he tried to rob a pizza deliveryman at an empty house.

A delivery in Augusta turned into a crime scene Sunday for Papa Johns Driver Tavarius Lewis. When he tried to deliver a pizza to this house on Dent Street Sunday night, investigators say Kevin Martin pulled a BB gun and tried to rob Lewis.

"[Lewis] started backing up, reached in his pocket and pulled out a .40 caliber handgun and shot the suspect," said Sgt. Blaise Dresser, of the Richmond County Sheriff's Office.

Dresser says Lewis shot in self-defense, not realizing Martin's weapon was only a BB gun.

It's a scary situation for neighbor Oscar Lacey, who lives just across the street and heard the shots.

"With things like this happening it means I have to lock up my house. You don't have the freedom on your own property anymore. You could get hit by a stray bullet," says Lacey.

Investigators believe this was not Martin's first robbery. Less than 24 hours before the shooting on Dent street a similar robbery happened just a few streets over, on Truxton Road. Martin lives just a few houses down from there.

The crime, though, is not new.

"It's not just pizza, it's been Chinese food, any food that can be delivered. We've seen where these businesses have been victimized in the past," said Dresser.

Another business where a worker shot when he felt threatened was the Walton Way CVS just last week. Investigators say in these types of situations, shooting is legal.

The suspect, Martin, is expected to make a full recovery. He is facing charges of armed robbery.

The driver, Lewis, is on paid leave from Papa Johns while the sheriff's office investigates. Papa Johns has a policy that says no workers can carry concealed weapons, either on them or in their car.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Despite the fact that pizza delivery is one of the most dangerous jobs in the US, most pizza places have this liberal policy that turns their employees into victims. I don't get it.

Sickening to say the least, but some people still value their lives more than their jobs.

2. glocknut

glocknut Active Member

I guess someone wanted HOT LEAD on their pizza... :D:D:D:D:D:D

mike
    gn

3. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

and all this time I was thinking that the most dangerous job to have was that of a
    HUSBAND :D :rolleyes:

4. Suicide*Ride

Suicide*Ride New Member

Yeah... , it's a sad day in America when a person can't legaly defend themselves from would-be crooks, ie:his employer's weapons policy.

I say "good shooting" for the gun owner! :)

5. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Well-Known Member

LOL, and the workers are thinking "What's more important, my life, or my job as a pizza delivery guy" LOL!

Good job Rob Lewis!!!!

Crpdeth

6. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

If the cops were to pose as food deliveryman in some of the bad neighborhoods, I bet they could get the crime rate down . Or would that be entrapment????

7. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

And that, my friends, is why I will not take a pizza delivery job. If I"m using my own vehicle, even if it's being used for company business, it will have a loaded pistol inside of it. Period. The same way as if I worked in a store at night. I'd have my pistol with me. Period.

8. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

It is criminal for businesses to put their employees in harms way and do all they can to keep them disarmed and at the mercy of the merciless. Hats off for getting hits in a stressfull situation. Is that an understatement?

9. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

I don't understand what the neighbor is complaining about saying he could get hit by a stray bullet. Sounds like the delivery person knew exactly where he was aiming. Now a stray BB on the other hand........

10. dbrodin

dbrodin New Member

11. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

12. Vladimir

Vladimir Active Member

Will be interesting to see how this pans out having worked for Papa John's for a while.

13. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

The obvious solution is to have the policy against concealed weapons, but not to fire people for breaking the policy.

Pizza Hut guy got ambushed by three punks, in South Carolina, back in March. Killed on of them. Local restaurant said they would take no disciplinary action against him, but gave him an "atta boy". Pizza Hut Corporate said to fire him for carrying a gun.

14. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

In this particular situation, there would be just a bit of truth to that. After, the Pizza guy only wounded the perp. :p

Pops

15. Haligan

Haligan Well-Known Member

I have to agree with the premise of this thread that delivery guys should be able to protect themseves. However, the most dangerous job in America still belongs to the proud, honorable, strong, brave, humble firefighter.

We have the stats to back that up too.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009