The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:

I am buying a 45 caliber pistol for home defense. I have pretty much settled on 230 grain Golden Saber, as these seem to have been endorsed by law enforcement both for stopping power and reliability. But I don't know which pistol would work best with them. Here are some parameters of use if it helps:

1. Cost not an issue.

2. Size, handedness, accuracy, recoil, etc not an issue, as this pistol would only be used at human target no further than 10 meters away, and most likely between 1 and 5 meters, and I am a decent enough shot (with a rifle anyway).

3. Target unarmored, wearing at most a thick jacket or jeans.

4. Pistol would be stored in a cool, dry, readily accessible location in house, fully loaded without trigger lock or any impediment other than its safety. It would not be a personal carry.

5. Pistol would have NO MAINTENANCE performed on it other than the following: once every 3 months I will go to a range and fire one full magazine,
to keep it "limbered up." Unless it jams during these trial shootings, it will NEVER be disassembled, and I will have a gunsmith do the disassembling if it's a significant malfunction. After about 4-5 years, equaling about 150-200 rounds fired, I will sell and replace the pistol with the latest best model. The idea is to keep the pistol as reasonably close to "brand new" as possible.

6. As stated, the pistol would not be used for recreational shooting, and only have a net lifetime use of about 200 shots.

7. In home defense, fire rate would empty the magazine, firing at about 2 shots per second.

That's about it. My instinct was to go with a Glock 21 due to the inherent reliability of simplicity but for every article praising it I've found one trashing it, so I'm open to any make and model. In summary, what pistol is least likely to jam firing a full magazine of 45 ACP 230 Golden Sabers at about 2 shots per second?

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
First, Welcome to the forum! Any decent .45 should feed, fire, and eject the Golden Sabrers. I like the 1911. But you need to buy the gun that fits your hand best. Take a trip down to Bass Pro, or Cabela's, get your hands around as many .45's as you can. But you will need to shoot it a whole lot more than just 200 rounds in a life time! I probably shoot that many rounds in a month, and I'm shooting other hand guns as well!

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
First, I am not sure I understand you logic. Why would you want to buy a pistol and not shoot it enough to get to know it and become proficient with it? Secondly, why would you want to sell it after only firing approx. 200 rounds thru it, it will hardly be broken in. I wont carry a firearm until I have fired at least 350-400 flawless rounds thru it or more to make certain its reliable. You say you want to keep it limber, but that isnt necessary, whats necessary is keeping YOU limber and trained. I personally hate glocks. I realize they work and lots of people swear by them, but I dont. But, you have already been given good advice. Go out and hold and feel as many as you can before you make your decision. I recommend either a good 1911 or a springfield XDM or a Sig. You wont go wrong with any of those. But, again, I recommend more than anything that you spend more time with whatever you buy and get to know it well.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
You buy the round to fit the gun. I shoot Hydrashoks and never had a problem, but I shot 300 rounds through it with no issues before I decided to carry them full time. Golden sabers are not bad and should feed in most pistols, but not always.

Also, with only 2-300 rounds your gun wouldnt even broke in properly. The break in period is neccessary to remove any burrs and smooth everything out so it functions more reliably.

You need to find a gun that you feel comfortable handling first and foremost. You have to be comfortable to shoot accurately, especially if you are not shooting much. Then try your rounds in it. If it works good, with no problems, good. Load them up. If not, move on to another round. There are quite a few out there that are reliable and have good performance.

Just from your post, I gather you do not shoot very much, so I would recommend a revolver.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm a 1911 guy and it is instinctive to me having had them for 40+ years. But there are a few issues regarding your parameters so I guess a glock in 45 acp sounds best for you. It's like a revolver in the sense that you just point and shoot the darned thing like a wheelgun specially with its safety features. I just don't know if Golden Sabers do work well with them so I suggest you try them out first. I carry with these rounds if not hydra shoks and they're fine cartridges. Lastly, I don't get the idea why you'd just keep them good for just 300 rounds when you should best concern yourself with developing proficiency with whatever you eventually choose. Good luck.

Oh and Country101's spot on. You might be better off with a revolver. Golden Saber .357's are very, very good.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Golden Saber is a good cartridge, but, there are others as good which might be better in whatever handgun you end up buying. As much as you say you don't want to fire it a lot, you really have to fire it enough for a couple of reasons. First, to make yourself accustomed to the unique nuances of the gun. You want it to be an extension of yourself. Second, to know that the gun is reliable and finally to learn what ammunition is going to be most consistent out of it. Some like a heavier grain bullet, some like more or less powder charge, etc. I carry Golden Saber in my .40, but, I've fired Hornady, Federal and a couple others before settling on 165 gr GS, because that ammo seemed to be the most consistent. All of it fired without a flaw, as I would expect with a high end, expensive, defensive ammo. In fact, the gun will fire most anything without problems. The only cartridge I've ever had a FTE was Blazer aluminum and I blame the ammo, not the gun, for that. Finally, why would you never break down the gun? I wouldn't even take a firearm to the range before thoroughly cleaning it first, and, I break them down and clean them after every range visit. It's part of owning a gun and, honestly, I enjoy that as much as I enjoy shooting them!

·
Banned
701 Posts
Goldensabers have a great feed profile. Just about any good 45 will fire them smoothly.

That is my choice in my G37 in 45 GAP in the 185 weight. Standard speed in that gun is ACP +P spec so its moving. What I like about it is the round expands less fat and gives better penetration than other 185s. Bagged more than a few deer with it so I know how perfect the projectile works.

Just get a 45 and test fire a bunch then roll with it.

·
Registered
17,299 Posts
Smith and Wesson Model 22

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
Hey guys, our OP made one post back in January and disappeared...I dont think he liked the answers he got?? Alpo, nice gun!

·
Registered
17,299 Posts
Yeah, sometimes I really hate zombie posts. I see it in "new posts, and haven't looked at it before, so open and read without looking at the original poster's date.

At least this is only six months old. I've answered in some that were four and five years old.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Yeah, sometimes I really hate zombie posts. I see it in "new posts, and haven't looked at it before, so open and read without looking at the original poster's date.

At least this is only six months old. I've answered in some that were four and five years old.
Ain't that the truth!:D

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you want reliability in any situation then the Glock is a proven platform, right with it are the Springfield XDm .45 (they put 20000 rounds without cleaning, drug it behind a atv for a few miles and it still performed), or The Sig P220. If your going to sell it back in a few years the Sig would hold value best out of the 3, and your best choice for what you described. But the Glock 21 with night sights and the 27 round extended clip is on my nightstand every time I go to bed. Pic below.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts