The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have mounted my Sightron 10-50X60 scope to my Remington 700 XCR Tactical .308. I have read that as long as the scope is not touching the barrel its ok. It is close but I can freely slide 3 sheets of paper between it and the rifle barrel. I have never fired this weapon but this is the first rifle I purchased just before this virus started to learn and do some long range precision shooting.

Is it true as long as the scope is not touching the barrel I am ok?
I hold the rifle up and look through the scope and I like everything about how that is right now. So I would like to see if in fact it works for me before I purchase higher scope rings.
Any Ideas for what I can replace my front cover with?
I am thinking about maybe a camera lense cover because they tend to fit inside with two spring loaded pieces that press outward to hold them in place. Other then that I am thinking of cutting the bottom of my current cover so it will fit on or maybe resort to an old sock.

Remington 700 Scope Clear.jpg

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
Looks great, I mount my scopes as low as I can to the barrel, I use a dollar bill to make sure they are not touching. Wish I could find some really low 3/8 type 22 rings for a couple of my lever guns. I have had the same issue with caps not fitting because of not enough clearance between the scope and barrel. I like the Butler creek flip caps and have had to modify them to fit, a grinder and some two sided tape will do the trick.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
As Bigdog357 suggested Butler Creek caps flip up, down, or sideways, but seeing the minimum clearance between the front of the scope and the barrel there will not be enough room to slip the front cap on.

Scopecoat brand is a Spandex cover that they offer in different lengths and objective diameters. It is stretched over the scope. That mite be your best option. The cover material is also thinly padded on the inside. When removed to shoot the rifle, you can roll it up and stuff in a pocket.

·
Super Moderator
27,000 Posts
I didn't even think about a Scopecoat. Good suggestion.

·
GUNZILLA
6,498 Posts
You could try using one of those neoprene covers that goes over the scope.

1605417763347.png

·
Registered
591 Posts
I have a Ruger American .30-06 and I have the same situation. I have always believed that the closer the scope to the barrel, hence the bore, the better. As far as the lens cover goes, I shaved the bottom of the cap and it fits well. By the way, nice looking rig! Stay safe!

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
I have a Ruger American .30-06 and I have the same situation. I have always believed that the closer the scope to the barrel, hence the bore, the better. As far as the lens cover goes, I shaved the bottom of the cap and it fits well. By the way, nice looking rig! Stay safe!
I had the same problem with a Remington 700 with a 40mm Objective sitting very close to the top of the barrel. A little light work with a Dremel on the bottom of the Butler Creek scope cover and it fits and operates like it's supposed to.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I had the same problem with a Remington 700 with a 40mm Objective sitting very close to the top of the barrel. A little light work with a Dremel on the bottom of the Butler Creek scope cover and it fits and operates like it's supposed to.
This is exactly the way I have handled the same situation. I too like my scopes mounted as low as possible. Not all my firearms are stored in enclosed cabinets. I prefer to keep my scopes clean and dust free. These covers are provided with scopes for a reason. To be used.
Lynn

1 - 14 of 14 Posts