The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I were to find myself in this completely hypothetical scenario, what should I do?

I was a Kansas resident who owns several ARs as well as some hand guns. Due to reasons that are unimportant, I have recently moved to (far) upstate NY and am in possession of them. I have not "officially" moved so still have a Kansas drivers license. I do not want to retain possession of anything illegal in the NYS (which is almost everything I own). I do not plan on getting a NYS pistol permit.

What is the easiest way to try to legally turn these guns into cash? Do I need to return to Kansas to sell? Can I bring them to a reciprocal state to sell? Can I bring them to a NY FFL to sell (preferably without getting arrested?)

·
Registered
838 Posts
Having lived in NYS for most of my life and yet moved here 7 yrs. ago I feel sorry that you had to move there but as far as the guns are concerned I THINK you would be best served to sell them in Ks. It would be less hoops to jump thru and also staying out of the PD visit. You could possibly modify them to NY standards possibly. It will cost you but it might make it possible to keep one if not all. I would look up the restrictions and see if you can change whatever it is that offends Cuamo. It's usually cosmetic crap, pistol grip, removable mag., collapsible foregrip, etc. Some can be left if the other thing is removed and so on. I had a coworker that changed three guns to make them happy. Like one one gun had to have it's barrel shortened, another needed it's mag. pinned in the gun. Sorry for the trouble you are having to go through.That's why I said maybe sell in Ks. Hope this helps. By the way where in NYS are you moving to? I would not get caught with a handgun without a permit. Also a lot of people haven't complied with the Safe Act with AR's. So take your chance, upstate Sheriff's upstate are a lot easier than down state PD. It might be wise to stop into a local PD office and ask what's the deal. Finally, CCW permits are much much easier to obtain upstate. It took my son 10 months, and a couple hundred dollars.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Wake up, you're having a nightmare!!!
No he's not. Living in NY with a dictator for a governor can be a nightmare though.
Look it up "Safe act" 2013 and judge for yourself.

Reactions: mrhonda

·
Premium Member
9,395 Posts
If you want to keep them they can be made NY compliant for about $100.
If you want to sell them just take them to a FFL that sells on the internet.
But if you bring them to to me I will make them NY compliant and sell them right here in NY. (if I do not buy them for myself).
If you are in up state NY (Like me) NO ONE pays any attention to the safe act.
My shop is in the finger lakes were are you?.
Every body puts down NY but they have no idea what they are talking about. If you live near the city then yes it is a bummer but in up state as I said no one has been charged on ANY safe act rules because the LEO AND the DAs will not arrest or prosecute the safe act BS.
It is like the law about spitting on the sidewalk Yes it is against the law but when have you herd of someone getting charged with it.
Making a AR legal in NY is easy and not that much of a pain to use. Just install a Mag-Lock. No it does not lock the mag in it just requires popping the upper 1/4 inch to drop the mag and with the rear pin replaced with a "ring-pin" it is easy and fast. Just look on the internet and you will see a guy who can do it as fast as a AR with out one.
The only bummer is you keep your 30 round mags put away intill you need them and use a 10 round mag when out shooting.
As I said I own a gun shop in the finger lakes region and install the Mag-Lock all the time. When you put one on you do not have to change any thing else you can still have all the extra bells and whistles.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Having lived up that way (right on the NY/NJ line.) [And] Having several Military Brothers there that (might) have had such Firearms. No one paid much attention to the Un-Constitutional "Safe Act." The Dirty little secret up there is that almost no one bothered to "Comply." A mere fraction of what they thought was there. 😉

Personally, I'd keep them until time they become necessary. Then, It won't matter.

Screw Cuomo and his "Safe Act."

You can bet his "Personal Protection Detail," has what they need to protect his "Highness."

I will Not Comply. (Repeated by the Majority of American Patriots,) Pretty much negates their BS. The good Sheriff's know and understand this, and will not enforce an Un-Constitutional Law.

·
Registered
838 Posts
If you want to keep them they can be made NY compliant for about $100.
If you want to sell them just take them to a FFL that sells on the internet.
But if you bring them to to me I will make them NY compliant and sell them right here in NY. (if I do not buy them for myself).
If you are in up state NY (Like me) NO ONE pays any attention to the safe act.
My shop is in the finger lakes were are you?.
Every body puts down NY but they have no idea what they are talking about. If you live near the city then yes it is a bummer but in up state as I said no one has been charged on ANY safe act rules because the LEO AND the DAs will not arrest or prosecute the safe act BS.
It is like the law about spitting on the sidewalk Yes it is against the law but when have you herd of someone getting charged with it.
Making a AR legal in NY is easy and not that much of a pain to use. Just install a Mag-Lock. No it does not lock the mag in it just requires popping the upper 1/4 inch to drop the mag and with the rear pin replaced with a "ring-pin" it is easy and fast. Just look on the internet and you will see a guy who can do it as fast as a AR with out one.
The only bummer is you keep your 30 round mags put away intill you need them and use a 10 round mag when out shooting.
As I said I own a gun shop in the finger lakes region and install the Mag-Lock all the time. When you put one on you do not have to change any thing else you can still have all the extra bells and whistles.
Side note to you, what is the law on Kel tec sub 2000. I have family in NYS around Newburgh and will visit if covid ever ends. Can I bring the rifle into the state?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Why would I want to make something "Compliant?" (See the 2nd Amendment.) We ALL need to be voicing the phrase,

"I Will Not Comply."

(Over, and over, and over.) Perhaps when they come up against Vocal opposition, and Active Resistance, they will begin to realize they have over-reached their hand.

It is coming to that point Folks, like it or not. I am of the age and disposition that I Will No Longer Comply.

Put me on the List, I am most likely on anyway. Like I Care.

Molon Labe'

Some Live it, Hopefully enough to make a difference, when it comes down to it. We'll See, shortly, IMHO.

People need to be Learning, Living, and Embracing that Phrase.

·
Registered
380 Posts
It's easy to Say, difficult to do - (But) I did it. If I can, You can.

Vote with your feet. Move out of Liberal Cesspools, that try to/want to take away your Constitutional Liberty.

Repeat, "I Will Not Comply." Over and over, Ad Nauseum. That is what it is going to take. Nothing less.

We are at a Crucible moment in our History Folks. Like it, or Not.

·
Premium Member
9,395 Posts
Why would I want to make something "Compliant?" (See the 2nd Amendment.) We ALL need to be voicing the phrase,

"I Will Not Comply."

(Over, and over, and over.) Perhaps when they come up against Vocal opposition, and Active Resistance, they will begin to realize they have over-reached their hand.

It is coming to that point Folks, like it or not. I am of the age and disposition that I Will No Longer Comply.

Put me on the List, I am most likely on anyway. Like I Care.

Molon Labe'

Some Live it, Hopefully enough to make a difference, when it comes down to it. We'll See, shortly, IMHO.

People need to be Learning, Living, and Embracing that Phrase.
Way off subject...
But to answer your question.
You fight in the courts not in the streets (YET) and it is allot harder to fight from jail and / or with out a gun.
You don't give up your advantage unless it becomes time too.
Those that are quick to draw usually die first.
I will get off the soap box.

Side note to you, what is the law on Kel tec sub 2000. I have family in NYS around Newburgh and will visit if covid ever ends. Can I bring the rifle into the state?
Best you leave it home depending where in NY you are going. To many things starting with a folding stock, more then 10 round mag, pistol grip, and so on.
Not that they are illegal but will draw allot of attention and you will be asked allot of questions and probably get it confascated intill you are heading for the border.

·
Premium Member
9,880 Posts
Here’s what I had to do to make a CA Legal AR when I lived there. Because of the hoops I jumped through I was able to keep the standard mag release which was important to me.

EEC169C7-1AF1-4B0B-A084-879FF2B292EE.jpeg

·
Premium Member
13,150 Posts
Here’s what I had to do to make a CA Legal AR when I lived there. Because of the hoops I jumped through I was able to keep the standard mag release which was important to me.

View attachment 242959
Good grief Mark! That buttstock looks like some sort of musical instrument. I do hope the rifle's since been restored to original configuration.

·
Premium Member
9,880 Posts
Wellllllll?????? I haven’t been shooting since we moved which is something I gotta fix this spring. Once I get back in the swing I’ll see what I can do about that. Was even tempted to just start over with a new one.

·
Registered
8,515 Posts
Western New York is a wonderful place to grow up but you don’t want to live there once you are old enough to move 😎. I moved away from the “farms” south of Buffalo to PA after college and I got married, 2 years later got transferred to Ohio, 7 years later got transferred to Indiana, been here 30+ years. Each move I could “feel” myself becoming “more free.” I’m kinda glad I didn’t go straight to Indiana. You have to kind of “work” your way from Communism to Freedom, too quick might cause shock😎

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
All thanks for the advice and discussion.

I am still considering if I should sell them or keep them. I am not interested in altering them as I really don't have anywhere I can use them. If that changes, I guess I would reconsider. My issue is I'm not sure I am comfortable having them, particularly the handguns.

The easiest way to accomplish this appears to be working with a NYS FFL that understands the situation and how to manage it appropriately.

No need to drive all the way back to KS if I choose to sell. Thank goodness.

Appreciate the assistance.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts