The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a 50 cal. Mowrey percussion lock rifle. From researching the net I learned that some of these rifles have a weak hammer spring. I'm not sure if that refers to original Mowrys or the later Mowreys made in Olney, TX. Which ever it is I have the opposite problem. The hammer spring is extremely stiff.

I've not been able to locate a replacement spring and am wondering how/if I might temper the spring and make my arthritic thumb happier? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Fashion accessory Metal
Gun Revolver Trigger Shotgun

·
Premium Member
15,046 Posts
Take it out and very gently grind it thinner, the old grind and try method. Just don't get it any hotter than you can hold. Shouldn't take much.

I had a Mowery Squirrel rifle, 36 cal., that was wonderfully accurate.

I think an outfit called Deer Creek Products might have some parts for them. Good thing is, there isn't many parts!!!

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@sharps4590 - I've been sick and just getting around to your suggestion. I carefully used a Dremel with a stone grinder, minding the heat as I went. The results came out great. I can cock that sucker without a come-along now! Thank you for the suggestion.:cheers:

Reactions: Grizzley1

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just joined the web site and tried to find where i can buy parts for percussion Mowrey reproduction Allen & Thurber Rife.
I actually have an original gun which i am trying to restore. need the trigger spring and hammer if at all possible?
my best regards
Bobby boy from Canada

1 - 4 of 4 Posts