1. Bluesprings

Bluesprings New Member

I have been shooting traditional flint and percussion muzzleloaders for years. I have had most types of actions. The one I have seen but not handled is the Mowrey. My questions are: Is the action easy to work on and clean. Secondly is the barrel easy to remove and is part of the action the breech plug? I am a newbie but a 75 year old one. Thanks

grcsat, One Shot and howlnmad like this.
  2. howlnmad

howlnmad Old Guy Doing Things Moderator Supporting Member

I can't help with your question, but we have quite a few members that are experts on the subject, I'm sure they'll be along with all the answers.

Bluesprings and One Shot like this.

3. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

The Mowrey action is a side hammer box lock made of cast brass, to get to the insides there are two screws on the offhand side that hold an access plate, the action is threaded on to the barrel just like a tang or patent breech on other styles of muzzle loading rifles via internal threads cut into the barrel. I would suggest not removing it unless it is to repair some defect or to replace the barrel, the male threads on the action are of brass and you could possibly make the thing harder to time correctly to the action by taking it on and off for cleaning and such, or heaven forbid you cross thread it and strip those soft brass threads.

One Shot, grcsat and howlnmad like this.
  4. grcsat

grcsat Well-Known Member

There are several different types of Mowrey Rifles.

Which one are you asking about?

5. Bluesprings

Bluesprings New Member

Thanks you have answered the most important question. I had a Mowrey owner tell me that he used a bore snake to clean between shots for accuracy. Could not figure out how he was doing it. If I acquire one will stay with the old fashion way of cleaning the bore.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2020
    grcsat and Grizzley1 like this.
  6. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

As to cleaning the action it's fairly easy, remove the two screws and it's easy to get to every thing although about all there is is a horseshoe shaped mainspring, a tumbler with a bridle and the trigger & sear.

If something should break, it's going to have to be a hand made replacement, I had to manufacture a new main spring for one a few years back. I haven't ever owned or fired a Mowrey, just repaired a couple that came through the shop, but I've built several rifles based on Pete Allen's box lock action and in between shots a damp patch on the cleaning jag on the ram rod works just fine.

sharps4590, Bluesprings and One Shot like this.
  7. grcsat

grcsat Well-Known Member

There are many variations of the Mowery rifle , T. Allen style. They also made a plains style rifle. And 12ga shotguns.
    Some are brass frame and some are iron framed.
    There is also a wide variation in rifling twist.
    Some rifles are for round ball and others are for minni style.
    Mine is a 1 in 30 gain twist at 54 cal.
    Most origin Mowery rifles with the right load will print a clover leaf at 100 yards.
    I know mine will.

Spare parts can be had at Deer Creek muzzle loading and also at Dixi gun works.

One Shot likes this.
  8. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

I had an iron framed Mowery Squirrel rifle in 36 cal. Everything everyone said is correct. Mine was wonderfully accurate and I took quite a few skwerls with it. Only thing wrong with it was I liked my 36 cal. Southern Mountain flinter better. There's only 3 moving parts in them, if you count the circular spring. On mine, if a fella got over exuberant and tried to cock the hammer too far it would lock up and you had to remove the side plate to "unjam" it. It was no biggy, it just always happened at the most inopportune time.

And, welcome to the forum!! Bluesprings? There is a Blue Springs, Missouri near KC. Any connection?

One Shot likes this.
  9. Bluesprings

Bluesprings New Member

Yes, Bluesprings Missouri is my hometown. Been using Bluesprings as my Forums name for years easy to remember. I am a member of the FOML Fort Osage Muzzleloaders. We have a very nice range at Elm Mo.

One Shot likes this.
  10. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Ha...I'm down near Rolla. My daughter-in-law is from the KC area. I haven't been to Fort of the Osage in decades. Evidently they still have the shoot up there? That's a cool site. I volunteered as a re-enactor at the Boone Home near Defiance for a few years. Cool doin's there as well! Thought I had a picture of me in my outfit but can't find it right now...

11. Catman1942

Catman1942 Well-Known Member

they are fine guns,as grizzley said, one damp patch and two dry ones between shots and you will keep shooting well. i always have a good solid range rod for my muzzleloaders and never rely on the rod under the barrel.you can buy good range rods or make them your self. i make my own.

12. Bluesprings

Bluesprings New Member

Thanks for the advise. I was told basically the same thing by a local muzzleloader builder. He said to run a patch between shots because Mowreys shoot dirty do to the rifling. However they are very accurate. I have tuned the trigger but not shot it yet. The local builder looked up his old data on his .45 which he used years ago and is what I have. His best load was 65 grs FFFG, 440 ball and 10 mil patch. Yes I only use a range rod from TOW. My hunting guns carry quality rods for field use. Thanks again

Last edited: May 8, 2020
  13. Catman1942

Catman1942 Well-Known Member

they all shoot dirty, just wipe between shots.