The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another new member here, as I've recently got back into BP. I have an "old" TC Hawken that I used to shoot 20 years ago and am going to break it back out. The reason being, I picked up a Mowrey .50 at a local pawnshop a month or so ago for $150. It's a beautiful rifle and I've done some research on it. It is a numbered issue of the Bicentennial model. Somebody on here used to sell them I think. Anyways, one question I had was how you get the barrel off for a good cleaning? Or do you? There's no wedge, so I'm really not sure what to do.

Adios,
Pablo

Attachments

·
Administrator
32,489 Posts
You don't have to remove the barrel for cleaning.

A 2 ltr bottle will work with a piece of clear tubing about 2 ft long. Make sure the tubing fits the nipple tight. Drill a hole in the bottle cap big enough for the tubing to fit thru.
Fill bottle about 3/4 full with hot, soapy water and place tubing on nipple.
Make sure the other end of the tubing is completely under water.
Wet a cleaning patch and slowely run down the barrel. Slowly pull the cleaning rod up the barrel and watch for the flow of water. Don't remove the ramrod from the barrel. Pump the water in and out of the barrel several times. Then run a clean dry patch down the barrel. If it comes out clean, dry out the barrel with dry patches then follow with an oiled patch.

Not clean, start over.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts