The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A neighbor from when I grew up sold me his camper (30' Itaska?, I think) in the late 80"s or mearly 90's. A year after having it on camping and hunting trips I was giving it a detail cleaning and fixing a leaky roof when I found Mr. Duncans Navy knife. I offered to give it back to him , but he stated his girls were not interested in it and that I was welcome to it and that he no longer had any need for it. He died like 2 months later of cancer.
Anyways, I was going through my hunting stuff last week and found Mr. Duncans knife. Had some surface rust on it, so I cleaned it up some to make it a little presentable for you folks. And make the writting a little more legible.
Can anybody tell me a little about this knife . It looks a little worn from sharpening. It has always been extremely sharp. And easy to keep an edge on. I can even keep a good edge on this knife.lol

Attachments

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
It is a WW-2 Boker U.S. Navy knife.
During WW-2 the govt. contract w/many knife MFG'ers.
Marine Corps knives were made by KA-BAR and Camillus. Exact same design for both.
The Army and Navy used a host of knife makers. The most famous Army knife was the Cattaraugus 225Q (Quartermasters knife). A very heavy bladed and pommeled knife that could be used to cut, pry or hammer.
http://compare.ebay.com/like/230878305187?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar
Various other knives were also issued to the Army. Including the KA BAR USMC style knives.
The Navy had the most diversity as far as knives. Nearly every knife MFG in America supplied the Navy w/knives. PAL, Western, Boker etc. Most w/fairly similar, but not quite as large as USMC style design. All very good quality knives.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-WW2-M1-BOKER-USN-Fighting-Knife-/250927437163

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
My grandfather had one he refered to as a Sea-Bee knife. Keep the handle polished with brown shoe polish. (suggestion given to me by old timer who had several knives.)
nice pics, thank you.
fred

1 - 6 of 6 Posts