MRAD Scope for .17 HMR?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by English Bob, Jul 26, 2020.

1. English Bob

English Bob Active Member

When I started buying scopes for rifles, I knew nothing. Now I've taken a PRS course, and I know how to use tactical turrets, a grid reticle, and a Kestrel. I feel like maybe I need to start dumping my old duplex and BDC scopes, which I don't really know how to use, and moving to scopes I understand.

I have a Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x scope on a Savage 93R .17 HMR rifle. It seems like a quality scope, and the glass is very clear, but it's not what I am trained to use. Wondering if anyone has a suggestion for an MRAD scope with a grid reticle and reliable turrets.

I have a Primary Arms 4-14x SLX on my AR-15. Maybe I should just spring for another one.

I have seen people shoot stuff out to almost 300 yards with .17 HMR. I'm concerned that if I cheap out on magnification, I'll have to buy yet another scope if I find myself trying to shoot way out there.

Also wondering if I should get a 20 MOA base. It looks like this caliber plummets a little over 40" at 300 yards.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2020
  2. howlnmad

howlnmad Old Guy Doing Things Moderator Supporting Member

i wish that i could help but a lot of the scopes that I see have mil-dot reticle and mrad turrets.

Limbo Jimbo likes this.

3. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

Heck, I don't even know what mrad means!

ms6852 and One Shot like this.
  4. English Bob

I'm thinking about trying an Athlon Argos 6-24x. Lots of power, but .17 HMR is for small critters, so maybe power is a good thing.

5. One Shot

One Shot Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I would leave the Burris on the Savage and learn to use it. It should be all the scope you need for the .17 HMR. 14x is plenty for 300 yds. Old school snipers used 10x for 1000+ yds.

Find a ballistics chart for the round your using and establish your maximum point blank range then set you zero at a range you are comfortable with to keep your shots on target. It’s easy to compensate for longer shots with a little practice.

Here is a start.

https://www.chuckhawks.com/rifle_trajectory_table.htm

6. English Bob

That's really interesting. Thanks for the info. I don't know if I'll do that, but it's pretty clever.

The problem I see with it is that the .17 HMR is used for very small animals, so if you're satisfied with +/- 3", you could completely miss something like a squirrel.

I'm Googling around, and I see a site that says you have to change the acceptable deviation to a little under an inch for small game.

I'm trying to think it through. Sounds like reasonably accurate ranging would be a must, but then that's also true using the method I was taught.

7. SeeMor Guns

SeeMor Guns Well-Known Member

@English Bob

I have the Athlon Argos BTR 6-24x50 and it is a great scope for the money. Good glass and reliable tracking. I have mine on a 22lr that I have taken out past 400 yards and it jas tracked great and always returned to zero.

My only complaint is the clicks are a bit mushy instead of being sharp and tactile.

For the money and the warranty, I feel it is a great scope and will serve you well.

@gdmoody

Mrad stands for mil radian which is nothing more than an angular measurement like moa.

gdmoody likes this.
  8. One Shot

One Shot Well-Known Member Supporting Member

The article points out that you want to use 1.5” for small game so it will narrow the depth of your maximum point blank range. Usually when hunting you can’t take the time to do a lot of calculating.
    What I do on the longer shots is aim for the head instead of the body. (Prairie Dogs)Try it. It works.

9. ms6852

ms6852 GUNZILLA Supporting Member

I just bought a couple of Bushnell Forge scopes a in December for my 22lr rifles. Got them at 50% normally run a $1000 . I really love them, I would recommend you check them out. They were going to put them out of production and introduce something else. All my rimfire rifles have high mag scopes whereas my hunting rifles are limited to 9X or less.