The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is firearm number 4 from my late father's collection. I was stumped with the 1st, 3rd and now this 4th firearm also. Ok the reason I'm REALLY stumped on this one is because I remember him working a lot on this rifle on our kitchen table as a child (as I did the previous posted muzzle loading pistol). But this muzzle loading rifle has some markings on it from a manufacturer! I watched my father as a child (early 60's) in the woodshop develop the woodwork (walnut) from one piece of stock and painstaking fit components into place. The butt plate, all trigger guard metal and front sight are machined from solid brass. All pieces are single solid pieces. The rifle is 56 5/8" long and weighs 9.5+ pounds total. The barrel is octagon in shape and massive in thickness. I do not know caliber. There are NO MFG MARKINGs on barrel. I even remember him working on this barrel in the machine shop. Here's where I kind of start to doubt myself… the metal on the hammer area side of rifle says "Janssen Sons & Co.". Did I misremember or did he "make" a hybrid muzzle loader or totally restore one? Any idea on value? The rifle is beautiful. Any ideas or opinions guys? have more photos if needed Thanks… Brad

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,359 Posts
A beautiful piece!

Although a lot of people build their own guns and some make their own hardware, Few have the equipment or expertise to make their own locks. This only means the lock mechanism was manufactured by this company, not the whole piece - so your memory is probably still OK - -

(I deleted the duplicate post in the ML forum)

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Man after my own heart. It was back in the '60s I made a few rifles. Like your Dad we used whatever parts we could get and made the rest. Looks like he re-used a the lock made by Jansen & Sons dating from the 1800s. The very imaginative trigger guard he made probably not knowing there were people making such parts for us DIYs. It looks like a nicely made rifle and no doubt a great family heirloom. If its function is good and has a good bore, it is probably worth couple hundred to someone as a shooter. Similar pieces actually old and dating from the mid 1800s usually bring about twice that.

I made several rifles that I still have at age 89. I wrote a little book about one of them "The Modern Kentucky Rifle" that eventually sold 50,000 copies. I still see it on eBay now and then.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Your father has used a sidelock from an old imported breech-loading shotgun made by Janssen Fils & Co. of Belgium.

He probably got the percussion hammer from Dixie Gun Works, or from a parted out percussion rifle or shotgun.

A normal percussion sidelock has the metal fitted around the drum & nipple, to keep the percussion cap's blowby from burning the wood.

·
Premium Member
9,586 Posts
I can not tell you about your gun because I don't know much about them.
But what I will say is it is a nice looking gun and I love the trigger guard and other hardware.The wood is good looking to.
I would love to shoot it.
Have fun with it.
Mike

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone on positive comments about my fathers muzzle loading rifle here. I watched him shoot it numerous times and was always thrilled when he did. It wasn't until I was around 28-30 years old (28 yrs. ago!) and he brought it out to my then home and we shot it numerous times again. It works great and was fun to fire. IT IS HEAVY.... the squeezing trigger routine is HARD to do with this rifle. Please review the black powder pistol he made in the black powder forum also (Limitool1). After 3 years I've finally started to go through his numerous collections of "stuff". Thanks guys... Brad

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hello Mr. McCrory - I have a copy of your book, third edition-1968. I built a half stock percussion rifle back then with Dixie Gun Works parts and bought your book to help me. Thank you for writing it!!
I still have a scar on my left hand from sawing around on the cheek piece of that nice maple stock too.
Jim S.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Homemade long rifle-Any info?

Hey guys.... Want to thank all of you for your thoughts and input on my dads black powder pistol I posted earlier. Here's the black powder long rifle he made. I know a little more about it than the pistol. The lock plate has "Janssen Sons & Co." engraved. I understand this probably came off a shotgun made in Belgium. The rifle is about 10 lbs. and is 56 5/8" long. The stock I believe is Walnut. The butt plate and trigger guard are each machined from solid brass. There are no other marking ANYWHERE on rifle. The barrel is rifled and octagon. It was last shot about 28 years ago and it was fun. I was 25 then and my dad and I shot it off about 20 times that day. Don't remember if I hit anything... Trying to hold it up, steady it, aim and then squeeze the trigger isn't anything like my .22 squirrel rifles. I THINK the "rules" for this rifle is bringing it up quickly, point and then JERK the hell out of the trigger. Then go to Kroger and pick up some meat on the way home.

Ok guys... Can anyone ID any others parts or recognize something so I know something new about this rifle? I was a very small child when he built it and I know little to nothing about black powder firearms.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Homemade long rifle-Any info?

Yes... I'm sorry. I'm just still trying to know and/or understand what he made and what he used from parts. Sorry... Brad

1 - 10 of 10 Posts