The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There’s no other way to put it. My Colt Gold Cup 1911 (9mm) has ruined me for other handguns. Especially anything with a poly frame. It is flat out the best shooting handgun I own. It even puts my Beretta 92FS to shame and that is my EDC gun.

Spent some time with it at the range today and started to wonder why I even thought about shooting another gun in USPSA. If I take my time and focus in the front sight the way I should, it stays nicely in the 9 ring of the target at 20 yards. That should be “A” zone all day long at matches. This leads me to the conclusion that it’s operator error when it comes to my low scores in matches. (Which is what some of y’all have tried to tell me already.)

About the only handguns I shoot as well are my old single action Sig Sauer & Sohn 22 revolver and my Ruger Mark IV. The Ruger really is a dream to shoot but still doesn’t match up to the feel of that 1911.

JMB got it right as far as I’m concerned. An actual .45 is on my wishlist as well. Hopefully when ammo prices start dropping again. It probably won’t be a Colt unless I find a really good deal on one but it will be .45 like JMB intended.

·
Premium Member
5,767 Posts
I have 3- 1911's. One is a Colt, one is a Springfield & one is a S&W. They all have the same problem. They all hold only 6+1 rounds. They all are great shooters, they all are reliable & they all, IMHO, are amazing examples of near-perfect machines. All that being said, they still only hold 6 rounds, give or take one. As I sneak up on my 80th year, I don't do anything as well as I did yesterday. The more rounds my gun holds, the safer I feel. Doing quick re-loads, or for that matter, doing anything quick just doesn't compute for these arthritic fingers, badly worn out shoulders & cataract dimmed eyes. We have a local gun range whose name sums it all up. It's called Spray & Pray. Gaston Glock must have had me in mind when he designed the 2nd best pistol in the world.

·
Registered
429 Posts
They all hold only 6+1 rounds.
If you are referring to mag capacity + 1 it is 7 + 1 for a 1911.

Or 8 +1 with the newer 8 round mags.

And as a 1911 aficionado myself I would like to say one of the best drop in accessories for a 1911 would be a full length guide rod.

It cures probably one of the biggest problems of the 1911 and that is with the mainspring not being able to retract straight and it bends into a 'S' shape and drags inside the frame.

And before anyone goes all Rah Rah 'If JMB wanted a full length guide rod in the 1911 he would have designed it with one - well, he did - sort of when he designed the Hi Power and shortened the main spring and added an internal guide rod.

Oh, and while I am at it consider adding a shock buff as well. These reduce recoil dramatically by eliminating the 'hammering' effect of the slide hitting the frame and you can make them yourself.

·
Premium Member
5,767 Posts

And as a 1911 aficionado myself I would like to say one of the best drop in accessories for a 1911 would be a full length guide rod.

It cures probably one of the biggest problems of the 1911 and that is with the mainspring not being able to retract straight and it bends into a 'S' shape and drags inside the frame.

And before anyone goes all Rah Rah 'If JMB wanted a full length guide rod in the 1911 he would have designed it with one - well, he did - sort of when he designed the Hi Power and shortened the main spring and added an internal guide rod.

Oh, and while I am at it consider adding a shock buff as well. These reduce recoil dramatically by eliminating the 'hammering' effect of the slide hitting the frame and you can make them yourself.
My bad! You can see its been a long time since I've played with my 1911's. Might be time to take them on a field trip to the range.

Reactions: WillieB

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I'm interested in the shock buff but I'm still on the fence about full length guide rods. I've tried both standard and full length guide rods in my 1911 and didn't notice any perceptible difference in performance.

The shock buff is something I need to look into more. I've heard that it will help extend spring life which would be a positive. Getting rid of at least some recoil would also be a bonus.

@soonerfan66 I don't think a Remington R1 is exactly a slouch in the 1911 world. Very nice looking guns.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I'm interested in the shock buff but I'm still on the fence about full length guide rods. I've tried both standard and full length guide rods in my 1911 and didn't notice any perceptible difference in performance.
I discovered noticeably smoother cycling with a FL GR in my 1911 but results may vary.

Gotta like the shock buffs however. Takes all the bang out of the slide hitting the frame and reduces recoil.

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't don't have a high grade 1911 just a Remington R1 45 apc and it is about my best shooting gun . Same about my Pietta Colt clone Peacemaker . Single actions are hard to beat . Even my cap and ball revolver are great shooters .
Going back and rereading this thread, I have to say that I wouldn't turn down a Remington R1. It might not be the top of the line but it's still a nice gun,

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think any 45 can be a great 45. Mine is a Remington Rand from WWII, it was worn out when I got it; the hammer would drop when you dropped the slide. So I replaced all internal parts with commercial Colt parts, tightened up the slide, ported it, installed a good fixed sight, and installed a SS barrel and bushing that fitted well. After countless hours honing the sears while watching tv, I had a really good 45! That was 40 years ago and it's shot well and functioned perfectly ever since. I've put at least 20,000 rounds through it and when I was younger I could hit an oil can sized target every time at 100 yards. It's my favorite pistol and my son will get it when I'm gone :)

·
Registered
19 Posts

I couldn’t have said it better myself and have that all in my colt 45 mk4 70 series gov. Love that gun.

·
Administrator
33,009 Posts

MisterEd, I think you have been misinformed. You are actually referring to the recoil spring but try and bend it into an S shape then tell me it will fit in the dust cover.
It won't. Not enough room. I've also heard the term "Spring stacking". I guess when a spring is compressed it could be called stacking............ maybe.
I'll admit the full length guide rod looks cool and I guess it could add a little ( very little- not noticeable ) weight to the muzzle to help with recoil. It's
all advertising fluff to sell guide rods.
Now for the Shok-Buff. " Oh, they will keep the slide from battering the frame ". Use the correct spring and the slide won't batter anything.
BUT, I'll tell you what that Shok-Buff will do. It will come apart and lock up the slide during a match rendering your pistol useless until you remove
the slide and clean it out.
Remember the fishing lures that catch fishermen instead of fish ? That bit of advertising has moved to the gun world.
Just an FYI

·
Registered
429 Posts
You are actually referring to the recoil spring
Actually I misspoke myself and yes, was referring to the recoil spring - and with a FLGR cycling is much smoother with it than without it.

I have heard of shock buffs coming apart however I have never had that happen (I don't shoot competition but regardless) I have found a very dense neoprene material to make them out of and it works very well. I keep an eye on it and while I have seen some very minor degrading of the material after several hundred rounds it has never rendered the gun INOP.

I see the (and feel) the advantage to both items so for me I'll continue to use them - and it looks like I am not the only one who is - and satisfied ! see below:
I couldn’t have said it better myself and have that all in my colt 45 mk4 70 series gov. Love that gun.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have to agree...the 1911 platform is the best for me, too. Had a couple of Glocks but wound up selling all but a 43 & a 48 (easy to conceal). Bought a Remington R1 Enhanced .45 and loved it.
Bought a S&W M&P9 2.0 and didn't like the trigger at all...installed an Apex...didn't like the stippling on the grips...WAY too rough...sanded it down, then added Talon grip tape...STILL didn't like it.
Bought a Springfield Armory Range Officer Elite 9mm...Loved it. Bought a Browning 1911-22 for fun...loved it but not too fond of the 85% scale. Now looking at the Walther/Colt full size 1911-22 for fun (the wife wants one, too!)
Sold the M&P and bought a Springfield Armory 9mm Ronin...Love it. See the pattern?
For me, my secret recipe is 1911 or S&W Revolver (Pinned barrel age) always works for me.
Here's the Ronin and the S&W 19-3 that came home with it:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Now looking at the Walther/Colt full size 1911-22 for fun (the wife wants one, too!)
Sold the M&P and bought a Springfield Armory 9mm Ronin...Love it. See the pattern?
For me, my secret recipe is 1911 or S&W Revolver (Pinned barrel age) always works for me.
Here's the Ronin and the S&W 19-3 that came home with it:
My wife has the Gold Cup version of the Walther/Colt 1911-22. It’s a very nice little gun. I’m kind of jealous of it sometimes. LOL

I definitely like the look of the Ronin. Springfield has been turning out some very nice 1911s lately. The Emissary is another beauty they are making but way out of my pay grade.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts