The Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What am I doing wrong?

I am using a 200gr. Lee bullet die, making .452 rounded flat nose bullets for my .45 auto. I am running them all through a Lee bullet sizer and then seating them in the brass.
The problem is that they are hanging up and not fully chambering. The place that the bullets are hanging up is about 1/32" from the mouth of the brass. I can see a perfect line around the bullet where it is getting hung just before being fully chambered. I am already at the minimum oal, so I am concerned that pushing them in another 1/32" could cause a pressure spike.

What do y'all think?

· Registered
2,689 Posts
If you can see where the bullet is hiting the rifling, it's too long. Are you using the Lee mold xxx 1R? If so, the radius of the bullet is too "short". The wide radius bullet needs to be seated deep because the "fatter" ogive bullet hits the rifling. The xxx 2R with a gentler ogive, works better. You can try sizing your bullet a bit smaller, mebbe 451".

· Registered
18,148 Posts
Charles that bullet mold is intended for the .45 colt so the bullets have a very short blunt ogive. you are going to have to seat them deeper. Minimum OAL for the .45ACP is 1.190, but I have seen them run as short as 1.170. Its not unsafe to go shorter so long as you work up your load properly.

· Registered
3,128 Posts
I size to .451 for .45 ACP although that's not your current issue. (.452 is OK for most guns too though, the true test is slugging the bore)

OAL as listed is a guideline moreso than a necessity; if you're hitting rifling, it needs to go deeper in the case.

Also, did you check case lengths prior to loading at all? this cartridge headspaces off of the mouth.

· Registered
18,148 Posts
yeah but .45ACP doesnt grow any when you shoot it. In most cases it actually shrinks a little.

· Registered
3,128 Posts
true that. I'm surprised some of the ones I have are still the same length after oodles of firings. I need to do some spot checks on mine to see where they're at, haven't done that in a while except on my recent .40 reloads.

I've had good luck with Lee's truncated cone 230gn mold, nary a failure to feed. 200gn don't seem to feed well in my TRP either jacketed or lead.

· Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My .45 feeds the truncated cone very well, but I just don't like how slow that big 230gr bullet travels. I was hoping to use a 200gr bullet and gain a few hundred fps.

· Super Moderator
47,547 Posts
I have found that every time that I load a .45 ACP that won't chamber, it ends up with the bullet needing to be seated a tiny bit deeper. That has always solved the problem.

· Banned
2,751 Posts
What am I doing wrong?

I am using a 200gr. Lee bullet die, making .452 rounded flat nose bullets for my .45 auto. I am running them all through a Lee bullet sizer and then seating them in the brass.
The problem is that they are hanging up and not fully chambering. The place that the bullets are hanging up is about 1/32" from the mouth of the brass. I can see a perfect line around the bullet where it is getting hung just before being fully chambered. I am already at the minimum oal, so I am concerned that pushing them in another 1/32" could cause a pressure spike.

What do y'all think?
Minimum OAL according to who/what?

OAL is always bullet and gun specific, not manual specific. First and foremost your ammo must Feed-Fit-Fire. If it does not then there is no need to worry about pressure.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/blog.php?b=256

· Premium Member
34,287 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys. I will try seating them a little deeper.
Charles, are these rounds for targets only? The reason I ask is because I believe that with pistols, penetration is everything and for reliable penetration you need high sectional density. The light 45 rounds combine relatively low mass with high cross sectional area creating some of the LOWEST sectional densities. Predictably, penetration suffers.

· Registered
603 Posts
If you are using a roll crimp that could be your problem. A taper crimp would solve it entirely. If it is not happening with every round and you don't trim your brass I would say this is a likely cause of fail-to-feed.

· Registered
18,148 Posts
My .45 feeds the truncated cone very well, but I just don't like how slow that big 230gr bullet travels. I was hoping to use a 200gr bullet and gain a few hundred fps.
velocity aint everything charlesman

32 Posts
In my experience.
LEAD BULLETS ALLWAYS (EXCEPT MY 380 ACP RELOADS) HAVE TO BE SEATED DEEPER THAN MIN OAL.
It's the nature of the beast.
I seat my 120 grain 9x19 lead bullets to 1.038" OAL. These 120 grainers will chamber reliably equal or below 1.085" OAL. Passed that the round will not chamber.

· Junior Advanced Senior Member In Training
7,956 Posts
You are posting in a five year old thread... the original poster hasn't been seen in two years.

32 Posts
I didnt know.
I thougth someone was posting a question here recently and wanted to help.
To me often old threds dont expire since there is allways someone who Looks that info up later on some years.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.