The Firearms Forum banner

my baby is sick, HELP

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  kravi 
#1 ·
I have good news and bad news the good news is Today I went to the farm and did some shooting with my 1991-A1 80 series colt.

another good news is I got to practice ALOT of "tap, rack, and asses" drills.
The bad news is for the first time ever the damm thing did not go bang when I pulled the trigger? on the second box of 50 there were 15 to 20 rounds that would not fire.
there was no dent in the primer, and the ones that did fire had a rounded dent ( tip not broken?)
the one thing I did notice, the back of the firing pin was flush or barely indented in the housing.
what is wrong with my baby?
firing pin?
firing pin spring?
how do I fix it?
HELP ME PLEASE. THANKYOU

#4 ·
thanks for the info I will try to dig into it today if I get time hopefully it wont be too hard. I have only field stripped the gun so far, sooo this will be an adventure!!

slugger

#5 ·
When you remove the firing pin, check to see that the firing pin tunnel is clean and dry...it should never, ever be lubricated with anything.
If the slide is not going totally into battery on the feed cycle, it could slow down the hammer blow and cause a misfire.
If the firing pin lock is not totally releasing the firing pin, it will cause misfires. Could be, you have to install a higher rise component or remove the firing pin lock and plunger and replace them with an adapter plate (Brownells has them.)
Also, make certain that when you fire your pistol you have a firm grip on the grip frame and have depressed the grip safety fully. It is possible to grip the pistol lightly and have the hammer end up on the "half-cock notch" that is much lower than a normal Series 70 half cock notch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.