The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been thinking of cheating on my Springfield loaded . I have held and shot another , now I can't keep my eyes to myself!
A close friend loves my 1911 so much, he bought an identical pistol. (So we thought) for those of you who know about "n" and "nm" serial # Springfield 1911's, I have an n and he bought an Nm. At first glance they felt and looked identical . At my range this past week I was having a heck of a time hitting my target( orange reactive ball) he whips his out and puts all 8 in it. I only hit 1 out of 8! We swap pistols and I hit 8 out of 8 and he hit 0 out of 8.

We both hit a lot better on paper and other targets with his. After further investigation and research , his has everything I want, but mine doesn't have.
My barrel is a two piece barrel, carbon steel parkerized, with a parkerized bushing. The rifling looks shallow compared to his. I haven't had the pistol long , haven't really tried any bullseye shooting, before that day but I've never really "hit good " with it. We set up a fresh target and hits with my gun were a horrible excuse for a group, but I did a lot better with his. He tried with both pistols with similar results .

His barrel to bushing and slide to frame fit feels so much more solid compared to mine. His barrel and bushing are both stainless, barrel is one piece. I've always loved my pistol, but I'm contemplating divorce if I can't get all the misses out of it.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
I assume you mean 1 and 2 piece guiderods? Barrels are barrels, one piece or they wont work. All your pistol needs is to be refit at the barrel lugs and a new tighter bushing installed.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
I agree wiht Josh, a simple fix.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
See the faint line right after the o in "auto"? Two piece, carbon steel parkerized barrel.

Attachments

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
throw that piece of crap away and order a match barrel from brownells. One that needs to be fit. And have a local smith fit it. And while youre at it have a Briley spherical bushing installed.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
The barrel is one piece, it just has a separate shroud. Those are supposed to be locked together.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Note: mine is still together, those were images pulled from google to show why i was calling it a 2 piece. I wanted a match barrel for sure. New bushing too. We polished up my buddies and i love the look and I want better accuracy .

I also read up on how to get the slide / frame fit better. Just everything about mine disappointed me .

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
I can understand where you're coming form, do I fix it, or get a new one? Don't know what a new one would cost, but I think going the JLA suggests would be cheaper. And you get the satisfaction of taking a sprayer up to accurate!

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Frame to slide fit only accounts for about 2% of a pistols accuracy. The rest is in good solid repeatable lockup and shooter skill.

Heres what id do.

Pinch the slide at the rails in 1 inch increments from the slide stop notch rearward in a heavy vice. Little at a time and only until you can feel it start to drag on the frame, then apply some 600 or 800 grit lapping compound and work it with a mallet. Do one rail at a time, as it is easier.

Once smooth leave it be. Youve done all you can do to the frame to slide fit.

Next step wold be to have a good barrel fit tight at the lugs and a tight bushing fit to the slide. Clearance between bushing and barrel should be no more than .001" at lockup.

Lastly would be a good trigger job, and maybe a set of good sights if it doesnt already have a good set.

After all that is completed and you have a decent trigger in your gun, the accuracy is up to you.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
With a new barrel and bushing needing to be fit, i wonder if i can I do that? Have to do some reading! Need to take this to a gunsmith?

I like to think of my self as a shade tree jack of all trades master of none. Lol. I'm entry level at smithing. I started with ruger .22's. all my .22's have polished internals, lots of VQ Parts and upgrades and tweaks here or there. My 1911 means a bit more, and I carry a glock most of the time but like to defend the house with a pump 12. I want my 1911 for a range and fun target gun. I usually plink the large metal animal silhouettes, so I've had a big target to hit , but would still like to hit my point of aim!

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
AMT on the hardballer had a 2 piece barrel and it was a real piece too. I agree with Josh. match barrel and have it fitted. The way springfield has been in the past, no two guns are alike. If your trigger is over 4.5 lbs your in a loosing battle.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jla, didnt see your post till now, page wasnt refreshed! I like the sights, Novak night sights. Could use a trigger job. Has quite a bit of creep, doesn't break very crisp.

·
Super Moderator
41,422 Posts
The one I bought last week has the NM serial number so I guess I am lucky. I took it apart to clean it but have not taken it out shooting yet.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Over the years I have been able to get quite acceptable casual target accuracy out of Springfield's silver soldered together "two piece" design barrels. Thus, I do not feel that a new barrel is always warranted as a first accurizing step. Over the years I have seen several Springfield Government style 1911's which apparently did not get a very good final QC inspection. So, here's a couple of accuracy related mechanical fit checks that you can do. When in hard battery (i.e. allowing the slide to go forward on its own), if there is noticeable play between the barrel end and the barrel bushing and/or the barrel bushing and the slide, a new bushing should be fitted. Also, again when in hard closed battery, if the very rear portion of the barrel can be pushed down more than a 1/32nd of an inch a new taller link pin might be in order. Assuming that the original barrel lug to slide fit was a good one to begin with, I've seen a new barrel bushing and a larger link pin significantly increase shooting accuracy at a minimal out of pocket cost. And before you do any work at all on the guts of a 1911, I strongly suggest that you get a copy of Jerry Kuhnhausen's classic book "The Colt .45 Automatic: A Shop Manual, Volume 1". It is a truly masterful work that is well worth the $32 or so.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts