The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So today was the big day. I got to the
North Store early, signed in in the “check in station” in the conference room north of the store, had to have my temp taken and answer the Health Screen Questions, then wait in a “Socially Distanced” room with 4-5 other guys, some of whom were waiting to go in and one who had been in and was cooling his heels waiting on his NICs check...

They let me in about 15 minutes early, small room about maybe 30’x60’, with 5 maybe 10’ racks with 12-15 rifles on each side, 2 with M1s Service Grade ($750,) one with M1s Field Grade (?) on one side and 1903 (Service Grade $770) in the other, one with some drill rifles and rack grade 1903s on one side and about 6 Service Grade 1903A3 ($700) and a rack with about 10 Service Grade WRA M1s ($950) on one side. There was also a spinner rack with about 10 M1917 Mixed Field and Service, ($600-$650). Along the back wall there were two racks of Field and Rack Grade M1s ranging from $650 on one side to $1000 on the other. Along the wall by the order and supervisors windows they had a rack with air rifles, and about a half dozen mixed M1C and M1D Snipers ranging from $1350-$3300...

I made a bee-line for the WRA Service Grade rifles, I’d always wanted a Winchester, so I’d pay the $200 extra for a good one. I handled them all, and was disappointed😔. Not one of them had a WRA bolt or barrel. A couple had WRA stamped stocks, but most had replacement CMP new stocks. So I briefly looked at some rack and field grades, and they were “poor to fair,” the expensive ones had new criterion barrels and usually new stocks but I was again disappointed. I went to the Service Grade rack and the first one I pick up, SA, 3xxxxxx something so it’s WW2, barrel is SA 3-45. (!). Stock, decent no cartouche except the arsenal “P,” and a rack # painted on the bottom of the p-grip. The tag says erosion Muzzle “0+” throat “2”. I can’t believe I put it down while I looked at all the others, but most were very mixed, newer barrels, about 1/4 with new CMP stocks, funny how many WRA bolts were on SA receivers, some late 50s LMR and H&R barrels. The armorer came and put a rifle on the rack and nudged me and winked and pointed to it. Nice SA, with a Nice SA cartouche on the stock...HR barrel 1954, “2” and “2.” After I checked all the nice $750 ones (all SA) it came down to the first one and the one the armorer had shown me...

The armorer was walking by again and I was holding the first one and I asked him, if it was possible that the 1945 barrel could be “0+” at the muzzle. He looked at it and said it looked almost new, either it was rebarreled right after the war or it was original, and either way it spent most of its life on a rack.
Anyway here it is, I bought it. The serial number makes it Feb or March 1945 production, the barrel is “3-45” which makes it “correct.” AND it looks barely shot! The trigger guard is milled, the rifle is tight as a drum, the only thing I’ve seen not SA so far is the hammer, which says WRA. 🤔. The stock they said looks like an “Orion(?)” that made stocks for the government for rebuilds right after the war . I can’t figure out why IF it has the original barrel that is almost brand new why it would need a rebuild, of either the stock or trigger assembly? The other thing I question is the milled guard, I thought all M1s made late war were stamped, so probably not original either.

Anyway, I got out for $1081😎. Got the rifle, a nice M5 bayonet, 200 Rds of Creedmoor(Hornady) M2 150 gr ball, and Canfield’s Garand/Carbine book that my wife is going to “surprise” me with as a Xmas present😉

While it cost me $70 Ohio Sales tax, it was worth it to “hand select.”
2BF7E86D-0C05-478B-B61F-61C465936DD7.jpeg

·
Registered
8,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I might have figured it out. If it was “correct” it WOULD have had when first delivered the original WWII locking bar rear sight. This has the replacement improved post war sight that all rifles still in service had changed shortly after the war ended. The ONLY part on the rifle besides the stock and rear sight NOT SA is the hammer, which is WRA, and even though the trigger group housing is SA, I’d bet if I could research the drawing number it’s an EARLIER wartime trigger group. My guess is when it was back in to have the sight replaced, when they put it back together, they grabbed whatever stock and trigger group they had at hand, the REST of the rifle probably would’ve stayed together. That makes more sense than they rebarreled it and “just happened” to grab a barrel that “matched!” Canfield says a “correct” SA barrel is within three months of the receiver date. What are the odds, receiver made late Feb ‘45, barrel dated March ‘45?

I think I really lucked out on this rifle, if it had a “correct” stock and trigger group it would have been out of my price range...😎

But that’s not how my luck usually runs, knowing my luck the reason it was a “hanger queen” was it doesn’t shoot worth a damm🥴

·
Registered
8,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
And oh yeah the op rod has the post war relief cut in it so that was prolly done the same time they replaced the rear sight. Probably lucky it is still an SA...

·
Garandaholic
9,423 Posts
Nice rifle. Congratulations.

·
TFF Chaplain
19,302 Posts
Congratulations. You have a great looking vintage rifle that you can enjoy looking at and shooting.

Hope to get a range report soon.

·
Registered
8,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I took it all apart today and I’m amazed at even all the internals show absolutely no or very little wear. This rifle was simply not fired much. (I even just about remembered how to detail strip and reassemble without referring to the manual, even though it’s been almost 30 years since I did it last...OK, I did have to peek when I had trouble getting the op rod back on the bolt🥴)

The only parts showing “wear” is the gas tube/front sight housing, the paint or whatever they use is pretty nicked up. Plus wear on the butt plate, probably from rubbing on the rack!

Last night I found the very light”RRA” barely visible where it should be on the left side of the Buttstock...so it had the post war upgrades at Red River. I’m trying to find out the date they changed from RRA to RRAD, this one was done before that. So the stock is definitely military, no cartouche because it wasn’t upgraded at a factory...and it’s probably a replacement. The upgraded sight has “DRC” on the windage knob and “SMC” on the elevation knob. I’ve heard of DRC but not SMC...

I was going to function test it today out back but it rained all day, I will see if my son when he brings his family to visit wants to hit the range with it after Thanksgiving...I’d bet he’d say yes😉

I am tickled with it. I dreaded having to go “eeny meanie miney moe” to pick between a bunch of really similar service grades and kicking myself I didn’t pick a different one I saw....this one was definitely “pick of the litter,” and I am surprised and lucky it was still there with as many guys who were in the shop while I was there and before me that day...

·
Registered
8,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And what’s funny, I bought my first M1 during the DCM days, in like 1984 or 85...when they were running the paperwork on this one I popped up in their records! So I had a current “CMP” number on file that they used.

They were out of hard cases, so they gave me the option of $25 off or they’d ship one to me when they got the new shipment. Nice plastic cases cut out for an M1, so I said I’d pay full price and have them ship it to me...

I never checked the receipt until I got home, and they had my “ship to” address as the old address in Ohio from 1984!!!😳

I have to call them tomorrow and straighten it out or else somebody in Ohio will be getting a Garand Case in the mail😳😎

·
Registered
8,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I love researching, when the story comes together! The Elevation knob is stamped “NHC,” for New Haven Clock, which was one of many subcontractors for the T105 post war rear sights...BUT the “SMC” on the Elevation Knob Screw is for a subcontractor for NHC that ONLY worked with NHC on rear sights “immediately post-war.” So it fits. So the rifle PROBABLY was reworked right after the war with the new sight added, and the relief cut in the op rod, at RRA, proof fired, then probably (yeah, still only a guess) buried on a rack somewhere for 70+ years, and the stock dings are probably from all the periodic inventories cleanings and inspections....but that would explain why it’s not a typical “Mixmaster” Service Grade M1...if it had a stamped trigger guard and good SA cartouches it probably would have graded much higher, or else they just missed it? If so I’m lucky and thankful! 🤔

1 - 8 of 8 Posts