The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
upload_2020-5-23_18-17-44.png

Don't stumble up my driveway in the twilight, especially if you've had a couple.

That is a tree root. Tree (neighbors) is long gone

Recently bought this place and the 15 foot wide concrete driveway was buckled . I started to repair it. Boy do I have a problem. That bulge in the "belly" is 18 - 20 inches thick and right up against the next section of concrete. Concrete is raised about 8 inches. I'm going to ruin some saw blades. Then I get to flip over the other half of the concrete and do it again. Don't know yet how I'm going to get under the root. Root does extend under the house.

Wish me luck and lots of ingenuity.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
View attachment 218836
don'''t know yet how I'm going to get under the root. Root does extend under the house.

Wish me luck and lots of ingenuity.
Water can be used to easily jet under objects, just don't compromise your house foundation. You may be surprised how quickly the water will move materials, depends on pressure, volume and just what you are digging in.
Test it with your garden hose with a nozzle. You can then make a jet with pipe to work under that root. Not there but I would cut that root on both sides and jet under it, pulling it out by hand, come along or winch. If using mechanical means to pull the root out watch your rigging and think about were it will go if something let's loose.
If you can jet it a bit on the end you will pull to before rigging. Rig it up and get a load on the root. Go to the other side and jet twords the other side with your lance/ jet. With luck she will move. You may have to come up on the rigging a few times and jet to move it completely free as the rigging relaxes. Don't get in a hurry and stay out of the line of fire of the rigging that has a bind.
Maybe I'm all wet but from what I understand this is how I would approach this. Be safe and take your time jetting and rigging. I am not there and cannot see there for understanding every aspect, this is a suggestion but you are responsible for your safety and damage to property.

·
*VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff*
25,887 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ral and rooter: great suggestions. I read up on some the removal stuff before I started. But I wasn't expecting anything this big. My biggest obstacles are the house on one side and neighbors fence on the other. Used a come along anchored to my pick up to flip the concrete, but I'll have to cut small section of the root. Therer are 3 and 4 inch spurs going off in various places and angles

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
If the tree has been removed, then the root is dead. It can't grow any bigger or do any more damage to the driveway. Use a concrete cutting saw to cut out the damaged section of driveway and if the root is below the level of the new concrete you will pour, leave it there. If, not use an adze to remove enough of the top of the root so the remainder is below grade and then pour your new concrete.

·
Super Moderator
38,540 Posts
If you decided to use some of the stuff that chief linked to, stay away from the Spectracide in the 16 oz bottle, it ain't worth a crap. We bought some of it to get rid of a stump and it just does not work, I still have one bottle of it. I have a feeling that none of them work!

We put at least three bottles of the stuff on it over a three or four month period. I finally got rid of that stump a year or so later when we had the yard completely dug up to me smoothed out for replanting grass.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If the tree has been removed, then the root is dead. It can't grow any bigger or do any more damage to the driveway. Use a concrete cutting saw to cut out the damaged section of driveway and if the root is below the level of the new concrete you will pour, leave it there. If, not use an adze to remove enough of the top of the root so the remainder is below grade and then pour your new concrete.
That's what I thought too. But there are suckers popping from various places on spurs/branches off that root. There is a raised flower bed between the house and the drive. I have some suckers growing there. The tree was cut down more than a year ago and the root is still active so I will have to kill/poison it some how. I've tried salt but it's not very effective on something that size. I'm going to cut and remove what I can.

Look up that expanding foam process for lifting concrete.
Thanks .. I'll check that out. Beats a crow bar and a floor jack too get my chain around it.

gdmoody: I agree on the stump rot. I had to have one ground out after using that stuff for a year.

Thanks to all of you

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
ral and rooter: great suggestions. I read up on some the removal stuff before I started. But I wasn't expecting anything this big. My biggest obstacles are the house on one side and neighbors fence on the other. Used a come along anchored to my pick up to flip the concrete, but I'll have to cut small section of the root. Therer are 3 and 4 inch spurs going off in various places and angles
That's what I thought too. But there are suckers popping from various places on spurs/branches off that root. There is a raised flower bed between the house and the drive. I have some suckers growing there. The tree was cut down more than a year ago and the root is still active so I will have to kill/poison it some how. I've tried salt but it's not very effective on something that size. I'm going to cut and remove what I can.

Thanks .. I'll check that out. Beats a crow bar and a floor jack too get my chain around it.

gdmoody: I agree on the stump rot. I had to have one ground out after using that stuff for a year.

Thanks to all of you
Just IMHO if original tree stump was not ground completely down to help kill off root system your gonna keep getting shoots.
That big job might look at home owners insurance perferrably the neighbor's.
Last trees we lost to storm damage tree service took care of grinding, no problems. Small one in front that voluntary started go neighbor to cut. Roots kept bringing more growth from root system til got rid root system. What started as a single 1 to 1/2" tree turned into one or two started in same area til was bundle of roots some as big around as a wrist in matter of 3 years.
"Good Luck!" BTW: if close to sewer lines you might want get them scoped before problems arise from root growth.

·
Premium Member
9,235 Posts
This is a simple fix.
You need a good backhoe, heavy sledge and a chain saw and a good gas power saw with a mason blade. Use the backhoe to lift the concrete and hit with the sledge, dig around the root and cut it then use the backhoe to lift it intill it snaps or gives you enough room to cut all the way thru.
Mike

1 - 20 of 58 Posts