The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father is in his 70's and does not hunt anymore. He does not get out to shoot much and has decided to get out of most of the reloading end of things. This is very sad for me because reloading was so much a part of what he did. He called me up and invited me over and sitting on the bench was a pile of reloading supplies. In the pile was a RCBS Little Dandy reloader with 15 powder rotors. Also, there was about 800 once fired 357 brass, and the same for 38 spl. brass. He gave me 5 boxes of Speer Gold dot 44 mag and 44 spl. bullets, boxes were unopemed several years ago. Then, hundreds of 44 mag and spl brass. Then, about 200 rounds of fully reloaded 30.06 ammo, and about 200 once fired 30.06 once fired brass. Then, he gave me 1000 Laser Cast .38 cal bullets in the boxes, and about 200 rounds of .38 ready to fire, and then he gave me a bunch of stuff like reloading trays and stuff of that nature. He still has quite a bit but it broke my heart because I realize my pop is getting old. I will have a hard time shooting this stuff because I know it was given to me by him. Here's a pic of the Little Dandy powder measure. I have used this one a lot in my life, They are pretty neat powder measures.

I will never forget the time that my father and several of my friends were hunting rabbits. As we were walking in the field a pheasant took off and my father yelled for one of my friends to shoot it because he had the shotgun. After my friend missed several times my father drew his Smith and Wesson 44 magnum up and dropped the pheasant with one shot as it was flying. My high school friends were speechless. Through the years my father taught me to be good with a firearm, but I doubt I will ever be as good as he has always been.

I love you, thanks pop.

Attachments

·
TFF Chaplain
20,474 Posts
That's special, Jim. Thanks for sharing.

I know about the "dad getting older" thing. It hurts when I see dad not being able to do things he used to do without thinking about it.

Any chance you can take him out shooting, just shooting, and get him to help you with some reloading?

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
Nice Jim. If you reload that 38 special I could use a couple of boxes of it. Just don't load it +P OK? Or, if you don't have a .38, I'd buy some of those 200 rounds if they aren't +p loads.
A retired Army officer friend of mine goes to the VA in Boise about once a month. I could have him pick it up from you for me and pay you for it. I'm really short on .38 special. Only have about 20 rounds.
-Will-

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's special, Jim. Thanks for sharing.

I know about the "dad getting older" thing. It hurts when I see dad not being able to do things he used to do without thinking about it.

Any chance you can take him out shooting, just shooting, and get him to help you with some reloading?
He still fishes like a madman. He has a fishing buddy and they live for that. He said that he really has no desire to shoot anymore. He is knee deep into the fishing and that makes me happy.

Thanks BlackEagle.

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice Jim. If you reload that 38 special I could use a couple of boxes of it. Just don't load it +P OK? Or, if you don't have a .38, I'd buy some of those 200 rounds if they aren't +p loads.
A retired Army officer friend of mine goes to the VA in Boise about once a month. I could have him pick it up from you for me and pay you for it. I'm really short on .38 special. Only have about 20 rounds.
-Will-
I will shoot all of it. He alaso gave me some wad cutters that are ideal for rabbit loads. Also, my wife shoots 38 spl.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I hear you Jim; my pa is getting up there too.

If you look at it from his point of view I'm sure he accepts his aging, but more importantly he has a son to pass on his keepsakes to. His legacy lives on through you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can relate with garydude, my dad is near 80, loves passing things to his sons, and I will teach my sons to reload and pass on, I use a Lyman powder measure that is 40+ years old.

·
TFFWPP President
13,897 Posts
go fishing with the old man. give him the most valuable gift of all, your time

·
Premium Member
19,882 Posts
I am 63. My son is 23. We go shooting every week at the pistol range or our trap and skeet club. Some of the guy's at the trap and skeet club are way past 70. Most of the old guys come in and shoot the bull with their friends and maybe shoot 1 round.

I want to keep going as long as I can. I really enjoy the time spent with my son.

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
go fishing with the old man. give him the most valuable gift of all, your time
Yep, I will. And when I do I'm gonna out fish that old fart. And then when I show him how big my fish is he'll grin and reel a bigger one in. He always out fishes me but we have fun. But, I am better at bass fishing and I let him know. :D

·
Premium Member
3,267 Posts
Glad that your Dad gave you his reloading stuff, but at 77, I am NOT ready to hang it up! I loaded a couple hundred .38's (LSWC) this afternoon, taking a recent widow, my wife and another couple shooting tomorrow. I just got my High Standard Sport King back from the gunsmith this afternoon, so we need to exercise it. The ladies will be popping away with the .22, I want my missus to handle old Sig and my 38's ( really .357's, but I prefer for her to shoot .38's,) and our good friend who just lost her husband.

We are all over 70, don't plan on slowing down, just enjoying shooting and being around like minded folks...

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
You are lucky to have any such interaction with your father.
My father didn't like, and wouldn't have anything to do with guns or motorcycles.
But my grandfather did.
Fortunately, when I was young my mother intervened and said that I should know how to shoot a gun, which I then learned to do. And if I wanted to get a motorcycle I could.
dc

·
Premium Member
19,882 Posts
Glad that your Dad gave you his reloading stuff, but at 77, I am NOT ready to hang it up! I loaded a couple hundred .38's (LSWC) this afternoon, taking a recent widow, my wife and another couple shooting tomorrow. I just got my High Standard Sport King back from the gunsmith this afternoon, so we need to exercise it. The ladies will be popping away with the .22, I want my missus to handle old Sig and my 38's ( really .357's, but I prefer for her to shoot .38's,) and our good friend who just lost her husband.

We are all over 70, don't plan on slowing down, just enjoying shooting and being around like minded folks...
I am 63 and hope I can still shoot at 77.

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Your awesome Clipper. My dad still has one caliber of handgun and rifle, but at this point he just wants to fish. He still has the basics but that is all. Thanks for the post Clipper and keep trucking.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
nice share HB...

my pops is almost 80 and he gave away his last horse last year as he said he was getting too old to ride and take care of it... all my life he has had at least one horse, so this was a sad moment and a wakeup call for me...

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
nice share HB...

my pops is almost 80 and he gave away his last horse last year as he said he was getting too old to ride and take care of it... all my life he has had at least one horse, so this was a sad moment and a wakeup call for me...
Thanks Caneman.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Enjoy your father while you still have him. Lost mine 2 years ago this June and not a day goes by that I wouldn't give years of my own life to have him back again. Any time with your father is time well spent.

·
Premium Member
3,267 Posts
Your awesome Clipper. My dad still has one caliber of handgun and rifle, but at this point he just wants to fish. He still has the basics but that is all. Thanks for the post Clipper and keep trucking.
Nah, not awesome, just not ready for the dirt nap. I have friends well over 80 who shoot with me at the indoor range I belong to. I don't enjoy hunting, have to clean and cook that stuff, but plinking and rolling my own stuff is therapy. My grandfather was an old man at 55, lived longer, but it was more "existing" than living.

Guys, you don't plan to get old, it just creeps up on you, and one day you look in the mirror and see an old fart. You do need to stay active, your Dad enjoys fishing, great! We all need to have something that gets us out of the house. Hang in there, the alternative is not pleasant.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Good for you Highboy, you keep him throwing that rod.
my dad will be 84 the 28th. he's lost his ability to do much physically, but his mind is so, so sharp,LOL. he knows how to get people to do stuff for him. I love that guy. he plays the "I'm too old":confused::confused: and my sister and them just can't jump fast enough. but we have to make him do some stuff himself. was with him today. just brings a smile to my face:D:D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts