The Firearms Forum banner

My first build

354 Views 14 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Dudley Laywicker

One of my coworkers is a gunsmith. I told him I wanted to build a decent AR. He helped me with a parts list of good quality stuff and then he assembled it all for me. I was able to buy most of this stuff on sale from various locations. The receiver is wilson combat. The BCG and the flash hider are SOLGW. The barrel is a Triarc 16". The hand guard and most of the small components are aero precision. The stock and grip are hogue. The charging handle is a radian raptor. The iron sights are Magpul mbus pro. I added the Holosun HS515GM this week and i am looking forward to getting that to the range in the next day or two for zeroing.
See less See more
Reactions: 5
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Nice build the friend did,LOL. Really
Nice job! ARs are like Leggo Sets for adults. You can make them any way you want. Have fun and be safe.
Did your friend show you how to assemble it so you can build the next one?
Really nice looking build!
Reactions: 3
Did your friend show you how to assemble it so you can build the next one?
Not yet. He has shown me the basics of disassembling for post range visit cleaning and oiling. But I am interested in learning further and I will at some point.
Not yet. He has shown me the basics of disassembling for post range visit cleaning and oiling. But I am interested in learning further and I will at some point.
I have giving copies of this book to a lot of friends AR-15 Rifle Builder's Manual - very step by step and accurate. Once you get started building them - it's hard to stop.
Reactions: 1
I have giving copies of this book to a lot of friends AR-15 Rifle Builder's Manual - very step by step and accurate. Once you get started building them - it's hard to stop.
I appreciate the tip! I added that to my wishlist. I'll grab it on my next amazon order....
Congratulations on a good looking rifle. Hope it shoots as good as it looks.
I had an unmagnified red dot on my carbine and found, for my use, that I needed a magnified optic. I have the Vortex Crossfire 1-8 on my AR-10. Very clear optic with a very usable zoom. They also make a 1-6 that may work well for you if you decide like I did. Very nice build though. I definitely would have wanted to sit and watch while he did it.
Reactions: 2
I had an unmagnified red dot on my carbine and found, for my use, that I needed a magnified optic. I have the Vortex Crossfire 1-8 on my AR-10. Very clear optic with a very usable zoom. They also make a 1-6 that may work well for you if you decide like I did. Very nice build though. I definitely would have wanted to sit and watch while he did it.
I think I may be coming to your same conclusion after my trip to the range today.
I think I may be coming to your same conclusion after my trip to the range today.
I tried to zero my red dot at 100 and the dot covered almost the entire target. After that day I knew "I" needed an optic with magnification. Not everyone has the same needs. But I knew "I" needed magnification. I got the NC Star 1-6, similar to the vortex crossfire, but half the price. Now my 5.56 carbine is not for beyond 200 yards really, so I didn't feel the need for an expensive optic. But, the crossfire is bright, clear and gives very good performance. I've seen it for about $250.
I tried to zero my red dot at 100 and the dot covered almost the entire target. After that day I knew "I" needed an optic with magnification. Not everyone has the same needs. But I knew "I" needed magnification. I got the NC Star 1-6, similar to the vortex crossfire, but half the price. Now my 5.56 carbine is not for beyond 200 yards really, so I didn't feel the need for an expensive optic. But, the crossfire is bright, clear and gives very good performance. I've seen it for about $250.
I think I am gonna keep my AR as is and save the better optic for the .22 I am gonna buy next.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts