My first military reunion.

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by dbcooper, Oct 6, 2017.

1. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have never attended anything like this but I am going anyway!
    About 40 guys from my old SP Sqadron are meeting this weekend. I really want to go see two guys I was pretty close to, but hope to see several more guys I knew. We are going to have a time to remember the ones no longer with us as well
    I also hope to get some pictures from some of the guys.. I only have a few of back then

ms6852, Broot, Firpo and 6 others like this.
  2. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Enjoy the reunion. I'd like to make a few myself.

ms6852 and dbcooper like this.

3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have gone to one reunion of an Army Reserve unit I was once in. I had a good time but no where as good a time as when I was in the unit, since I don't drink to excess anymore.;):p

4. dbcooper

Well some of the usual suspects are already planning on pulling a cork like they did back then
    The thing is...i didn't drink much then and rarely drink now, so I'll just be the same as I was then
    Still hoping to share and remember the good times though

5. dbcooper

I just got back from spending the day 27 years in the past
    So many laughs and memories were shared
    Mostly good but some bad
    We all had worked a plane crash with multiple victims back in 88
    We all relived that though each other's recollections

Most of the guys were just like I remembered them albeit a little gray and several pounds heavier

I have read and heard about this unbreakable bond with the men you served with.
    I now know exactly how strong it is
    I would do anything today that any of those men would ask me to and them for me
    Tonight I'm happy for the memories revived but also I'm strangely a bit melancholy and I don't know why

My family wants to know all about the reunion and I have told them some stories but I'm keeping it mostly to myself. I guess I'm being selfish in that regard but I really don't want to talk about it with them. It's hard to relate the experiences since it all happened long before I got married and started my family.
    It's hard to explain I guess
    DB

jim brady, reflex1, Conman and 4 others like this.
  6. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Glad you had a great time :D.

dbcooper and crystalphoto like this.
  7. jwdurf

jwdurf Well-Known Member

Glad you went DB and really glad you enjoyed it.

I went to one for my old squadron a couple of years ago and really enjoyed seeing some of the guys. I look forward mostly, but it's good to take a peek back once in a while.

8. Buckhunter99

Buckhunter99 Member

It doesn't need to be explained. I completely understand what your saying. It is hard for them to understand because they were not there. I am the same way with my friends and family. Its like one of those you had to be there things to understand. I was talking to one of my Marine buddies last night and we were talking about friends and how people say they are friends but they honestly have no clue what true friends are. The men we served with I feel are true friends because you know (just as you stated) they would do anything for you as you would for them.

jim brady, dbcooper and reflex1 like this.
  9. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

This is a pretty old thread - but I don't remember it when it was posted. Glad things worked out db. I went to one some years back in Reno. Didn't see anyone I knew. Bad thing was it was a 101st Airborne Division Reunion - most of the people there were Fort Campbell guys. They looked down on us 'Nam Guys.

The guys I served with are my brothers whether aircrew or ground crew. The stateside 101st Airborne Division guys were a bunch of jerks. Pretty blunt - but that was how it was.

dbcooper likes this.
  10. ms6852

ms6852 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Of all of them you are probably the only one that will have fine memories of the reunion since your brain cells will still be intact. Hope you have a good time.

dbcooper likes this.